Use VS project's properties in another project

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
catrexis

Use VS project's properties in another project

Post by catrexis » March 11th, 2015, 9:33 am

Hiho =)
I have a problem: When you're working with DirectX, you have to link additional libraries and include pathes. And it is annoying, to do this for every project again. I know that there is a solution with project property sheets, but I don't get it to work. I found some msdn how-tos, but they didn't help me. Could anybody tell me step by step, how to save the properties of one project and load them into another with Visual Studio 2012? Or tell me another solution for my problem?
Thanks in advance
Cat

MrGodin

Re: Use VS project's properties in another project

Post by MrGodin » March 15th, 2015, 7:16 pm

I suppose you could make a starting point framework and make it a template, as i have done, so when i start i new project, i just load my starting framework from the template and away i go.
Curiosity killed the cat, satisfaction brought him back

BurakCanik

Post by BurakCanik » March 18th, 2015, 1:15 pm

I'm quoting from the book "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 11" by Frank D. Luna :
In Visual Studio 2010, the directory paths are per project settings (this differs from Visual Studio 2008 behavior). This means you need to set the search paths for every project when you make a new project. If you make many demo projects, this can be annoying. However, there is a way to make these settings permanent for a user. Under the Visual Studio menu, select View > Other Windows > Property Manager. Expand the property manager as in Figure 9, and double-click the Microsoft. Cpp. Win32, user item. You get a dialog box similar to the one in Figure 8, except that the paths you set here will persist across projects, so that you do not need to add them every time. More specifically, every new project you make will inherit the values set here.
Figure8.JPG
Figure 8
(82.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Figure9.JPG
Figure 9
(89.81 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Hope this helps :) Happy coding.
If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain" - Morpheus

catrexis

Post by catrexis » March 18th, 2015, 3:53 pm

Big Thanks Burak, this helps me alot! =)

BurakCanik

Post by BurakCanik » March 18th, 2015, 9:45 pm

Glad it did :)
If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain" - Morpheus