any other "aspies" on this forum?

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
viruskiller

any other "aspies" on this forum?

Post by viruskiller » December 5th, 2014, 8:00 pm

my whole life i sensed there is something different about me , i always struggled to be normal in different daily situations, i just took it as beeing slightly different person, but then i grew up and there came relationships and rejection, and i realized more and more there is something wrong with me, there must be some unwritten rules of conduct, i never get sarcasm, or jokes and easly get fooled by others, i take things literally, always think something different than the plot of discution, and when i try to participate ppl react ackwardly, and then i realize they were talking about something else.
few days ago i read an article on wikipedia out of pure curiosity about Asperger syndrome , and it hit me like a wall of briks ,everything described in there fits me, more than that i read a guide on how to survive with the syndrome here http://www.autismusundcomputer.de/marc2.en.html#preface

and again lots of things here are exactly like he say's and i find it hard to belive that is pure coincidence that everything in there describes me,...well maybe the exception is the extra-ordinary potential for computer programing, i don't think i am that good, but on the other hand i never had troubles learning any programing concept i study so far, and didn't verify the statement yet.
so i'm asking here in a programing community, have u ever heard of this syndrome? know someone having it? and are they good at programing or it's just a random invention made by the guy who wrote the book..?

LuX

Re: any other "aspies" on this forum?

Post by LuX » December 5th, 2014, 10:36 pm

Well, I'm certainly no expert, but what you just described sounds a lot like my sister, and she definitely doesn't have autism. In fact my mother used to work with disabled and mentally challenged people, so she knows a lot of families with kids with "aspies", and I've met a lot of them, like we used to have them over for dinner and such. Also reading your comment, the constant misplacement of the comma ( "-- me , i --" "-- conduct, i --" "-- briks ,everything --" ) is proof enough you don't have this syndrome. People with Asbergers are often very concerned, in fact obsessed, about rules and consistency/order etc.

To put it bluntly, I'd say it is unlikely you have Asbergers. By the very least you should be aware of it by now, assuming you've been in day cares as a kid, or at least have your health checked by a doctor. But again, I'm not an expert, and don't know enough about you to say anything for sure. If you are concerned you could always ask your parents or get checked by a pro.

Don't believe everything you read online. I mean, what ever illness symptoms you try to Google, you will always find that you have at least a brain tumor and full-body bone cancer and ebola.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » December 6th, 2014, 7:51 am

My bro has a lot of asperger traits, though never been tested. Lux I thought about his spelling and mechanics too while reading. Then I realized that perhaps they don't know all the rules, I certainly don't. The reason I brought this up is because my brother is very good with music. He plays piano and many percussion instruments. Is freaking awesome at most video games, I like watching him play guitar hero he really gets into the drumming and plays the guitar so calmly and makes it in the 90's. I have another younger brother who/m my parents want to claim aspy, but aside from the social awkwardness I'm not sure, but he doesn't want to do anything but play video games. I tried getting him to learn programming and the older one. They gave it a shot for a bit, the older one made it to Beginner Lesson 10 before deciding that it wasn't for him and the younger one tried khan academy(javascript) and decided he didn't like it, saying it was too much work.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

viruskiller

Post by viruskiller » December 6th, 2014, 9:21 pm

LuX wrote:Well, I'm certainly no expert, but what you just described sounds a lot like my sister, and she definitely doesn't have autism. In fact my mother used to work with disabled and mentally challenged people, so she knows a lot of families with kids with "aspies", and I've met a lot of them, like we used to have them over for dinner and such. Also reading your comment, the constant misplacement of the comma ( "-- me , i --" "-- conduct, i --" "-- briks ,everything --" ) is proof enough you don't have this syndrome. People with Asbergers are often very concerned, in fact obsessed, about rules and consistency/order etc.

To put it bluntly, I'd say it is unlikely you have Asbergers. By the very least you should be aware of it by now, assuming you've been in day cares as a kid, or at least have your health checked by a doctor. But again, I'm not an expert, and don't know enough about you to say anything for sure. If you are concerned you could always ask your parents or get checked by a pro.

Don't believe everything you read online. I mean, what ever illness symptoms you try to Google, you will always find that you have at least a brain tumor and full-body bone cancer and ebola.
my spelling is wrong because i was to lazy to learn it in school , but belive me i have certain ways of doing stuff, and if i do it differently i mess it up badly.
also i am very clumsy at work, specially when a bit tired, if i try to do something at a higher pace i stumble on everything and hurt myself often doing normal tasks (drywall worker).like i can say for sure in the past 2 weeks there was not a day to pass by without cutting or scratching my right hand, i know working on construction site is dangerous job, but 4 years on it and i am still that clumsy, and i see others rarely getting a cut or a bad scratch, but never someone to do it daily.
i also am very slow doing things, i like and try to get everything right, i like precision , and if i think something is done better in one way i stick to it even tough ppl at work tell me it's faster/better in a different way, and sometimes i even ignore my boss on that,and once or twice it happen that i realised he was right, and felt bad about it.
whenever ther's a new thing to learn or doing stuff differently i must learn why we do it that way and not the other way, if i don't get the reason i mess up , like i'm hardwired to do it my way, but if it is explained in a way that makes sense to me i always get it right.

LuisR14

Post by LuisR14 » December 7th, 2014, 8:07 pm

hmm yea, i've heard of asperger's syndrome, (.. i once heard a joke like ass burger lol), anyways, i also seem to have that behavior of doing stuff my own way but i don't think i have that syndrome, tis more of an ocd thing on my part o.o
always available, always on, about ~10 years c/c++, java[script], win32/directx api, [x]html/css/php/some asp/sql experience. (all self taught)
Knows English, Spanish and Japanese.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili]irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili[/url] [url=irc://luisr14.no-ip.org/#pchili]alt[/url] -- join up if ever want real-time help or to just chat :mrgreen: --

jkhippie

Post by jkhippie » December 8th, 2014, 12:55 pm

The only case of Asperger's I'm familiar with is Jerry on Boston Legal. If you had it like that, you'd definitely know it.
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

banananphone

Post by banananphone » December 12th, 2014, 7:48 am

i dont have it ,but personally i spend alot of my time visualizing what i look like from afar. almost if i was another person viewing me. this causes me to be more self aware and more focased on my posture and other habits i do. i used to be very bad to bite my nails, when i did this i feel very uncomfortable because i feel someone is watching me even though im alone.
If i was a wrestler i would be hank hell | and i'd bring the pro-pain.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » December 12th, 2014, 3:17 pm

banananphone wrote:i dont have it ,but personally i spend alot of my time visualizing what i look like from afar. almost if i was another person viewing me. this causes me to be more self aware and more focased on my posture and other habits i do.
I do this too. I have other habits equally as embarrassing, but not the nail biting, that would be the older brother I described earlier.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

banananphone

Post by banananphone » December 13th, 2014, 4:38 am

albinopapa wrote:
banananphone wrote:i dont have it ,but personally i spend alot of my time visualizing what i look like from afar. almost if i was another person viewing me. this causes me to be more self aware and more focased on my posture and other habits i do.
I do this too. I have other habits equally as embarrassing, but not the nail biting, that would be the older brother I described earlier.
reading about your brother i am also a pianist and i play alot of advanced pieces. makes me almost question if something causes this "third person view" i also can get into a repetitive task very easily and can work on something boring as long as its somewhat repetitive.
If i was a wrestler i would be hank hell | and i'd bring the pro-pain.