Will this series make me a pro?

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Stefanduranski

Will this series make me a pro?

Post by Stefanduranski » February 15th, 2014, 6:46 am

ok so when i was a shitty noob programmer i started watching this fucking AWESOME series and i learnt a little and then quit coz it was hard and i wanted to get good at c++ first.so yea i learn the basic c++ and now iam just thinking should i use these fucking hillarios tutorials or not.i mean i clicked on one of the intermediate tutorials and it was 2 FUCKING HOURS!!!!! seriosly.and i want to be Prophicient c++ programmer and iam just wondering will these tutorials improve my c++ buy a fuck load? and will these bad ass skills garantee a job?
:?: :?:

ow and i have a question...will the skills be good enough to make console games e.g xbox,playstation,nintendo,or even windows phone

Please reply
Thank you
always code with a condom

bshivam2001

No is your answer!

Post by bshivam2001 » February 15th, 2014, 8:28 am

The simple answer is NO. These videos will just teach you some basic techniques you can use in your future programs. You will get skilled as you start making or own projects or games. It is the best way to practice all the skills you have learnt.
And for your second question, The answer is still no. No console gaming device uses DirectX for its games except for Microsoft XBOX. But for XBOX and all other gaming devices, I think you will need to download an SDK or something........Use Google for more info on this.
BTW, I tried to make games for my android and PSP I owned but it was way fucking hard so I quit the idea!
'If you can't make it good, at least make it look good'

albinopapa

Re: Will this series make me a pro?

Post by albinopapa » February 15th, 2014, 10:29 am

Yeah it will do everything you want and more! Just kidding. There are no guarantees in life bro. These tutorials have helped a lot of us learn the basics of C++ and has given us motivation to dive deeper into the Windows API and DirectX API. As far as getting a job with the skills learned HERE, wouldn't bank on it. That isn't even the goal of these tutorials and if you want to be a "fucking awesome" programmer slash game maker, you should consider going to college. You may learn the same things you learn here, but for one there is "structure" and two it will give you a diploma, which I hear are all the rave these days.

If you want to learn to program at a leisurely pace and have a little fun throughout the process, then these tutorial will do the trick. They are geared toward making games in that chili goes over some of the logic and math needed to create the games while he is teaching us the language. Given that the title has DirectX programming in it, I'm only assuming that he will cover the DirectX API eventually, but who knows, maybe he will just teach us how the API works and say " ok you have the tools, now go do ".

There are currently 43 videos in the series each ranging from 20 minutes to 3 and a half hours. Just a guess, but I would say there is easily 80+ hours of tutorials here and yes seriously you should watch every minute if not only to here chili cuss, talk about his erections and fail at typing, learning something new is good too.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

PutPixel255

Post by PutPixel255 » February 18th, 2014, 5:45 am

If you want to be a professional you have to figure out what the people want and then simply render those services to them. Of course you'll have to obtain the skills necessary to provide those services and it helps to pursue a skill that you're willing to think about and do many hours a day. I think the degree is irrelevant unless it helps you to obtain those precious skills, but there are many ways to acquire a skill set and you'll have to figure that out for yourself. Remember, schooling will put you in debt and if you want to be a pro you'll be wanting to go in the opposite direction money wise. Am I right? Software is something you can pull out of a hat if you know how to do it, except especially for today you'll have to find some trustworthy partners to work with in order to develop the large packages(lots and lots of lines of code) and maybe just maybe your schooling will put you in touch with these real world people that you'll see in the flesh. And what do the people say, blah de blah de blah.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » February 19th, 2014, 5:05 am

PutPixel255 wrote:If you want to be a professional you have to figure out what the people want and then simply render those services to them. Of course you'll have to obtain the skills necessary to provide those services and it helps to pursue a skill that you're willing to think about and do many hours a day. I think the degree is irrelevant unless it helps you to obtain those precious skills, but there are many ways to acquire a skill set and you'll have to figure that out for yourself. Remember, schooling will put you in debt and if you want to be a pro you'll be wanting to go in the opposite direction money wise. Am I right? Software is something you can pull out of a hat if you know how to do it, except especially for today you'll have to find some trustworthy partners to work with in order to develop the large packages(lots and lots of lines of code) and maybe just maybe your schooling will put you in touch with these real world people that you'll see in the flesh. And what do the people say, blah de blah de blah.
Where's the Like button :)
I have been trying to tell people that college is a waste of money and time. College is a business that is of course into making money. I'm sure there are professors that will teach and all, but for the most part most of the people I have talked to either aren't even in the fields they got their degree in or they didn't learn anything relevant to their current job even though they are in the field their degree is in. My dad is the exception....sort of. He went to a technical school and is in the field and is using the stuff he learned. I say sort of because he didn't go to a University or College, it was a technical school.

That is what is more useful in my opinion is graduating from a technical school that teaches you modern or up to date applications of the field you are interested in. They usually cost less and you don't have to learn or relearn all the other beginner stuff you just got done with learning from high school. Doctors have med school, are it's called a practice when you have your own office, so technically they are always still learning. Laws change all the time, so lawyers could benefit from just having a Legal Trade School or something.

Unfortunately, businesses want you to have a diploma if you want to be hired or at least have good pay. So there is a vicious cycle. Best bet, startup a business of your own. Start small and grow the best you can.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

bonjovifan

Post by bonjovifan » February 19th, 2014, 9:15 pm

The only thing that will make you a pro is practice and challenges. Just following a series of videos won't make you a pro, alone. Most programming series just teach you the basics and leave the rest up to you. The skill level that you are can only be obtained by what you do with what you know. :)

Stefanduranski

Post by Stefanduranski » February 20th, 2014, 4:32 am

bonjovifan wrote:The only thing that will make you a pro is practice and challenges. Just following a series of videos won't make you a pro, alone. Most programming series just teach you the basics and leave the rest up to you. The skill level that you are can only be obtained by what you do with what you know. :)

yea thanks to you all its a big help but i also wanted to ask is how good of a programmer will this series
make me?
i know pretty much all the c++ basics its just i thought of starting this series out so i can improve my skills in c++ and become a more experienced programmer.
and also do these tutorials give you the knowledge to make your own games?
always code with a condom

Aeoskype

Post by Aeoskype » February 20th, 2014, 12:59 pm

Stefanduranski wrote:
bonjovifan wrote:The only thing that will make you a pro is practice and challenges. Just following a series of videos won't make you a pro, alone. Most programming series just teach you the basics and leave the rest up to you. The skill level that you are can only be obtained by what you do with what you know. :)

yea thanks to you all its a big help but i also wanted to ask is how good of a programmer will this series
make me?
i know pretty much all the c++ basics its just i thought of starting this series out so i can improve my skills in c++ and become a more experienced programmer.
and also do these tutorials give you the knowledge to make your own games?
These series wont make you good or bad programmer. It depends on you how good you will become. Only watching will not improve your skills. You must practise. A lot. Only this will make you good programmer. After every lesson, if you didn't get the idea, watch it all over. Try writing it without watching video. Don't try to memorize what was shown in the video. Find your own solution. And of course , it will give some knowledge to make your own games. I think you should start something from like 10 lesson. At least i did it.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » February 20th, 2014, 5:39 pm

Yeah, I think I made it to lesson 20 before I started practicing on different things. I feel I have learned a lot, but not nearly enough. I use cplusplus.com a lot for referencing. I have spent hours learning how different functions work. Sucks the older I get the longer it takes for something to sink in. Anyway, my point was kind of don't just limit yourself to one resource, if you feel like beginner series is to slow, move on to the intermediate. If you need more check out other tutorials. Read the MSDN website. Search google for answers. Most importantly, start programming and when you get stuck, ask questions or upload a cleaned project and ask for constructive criticism.

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » February 21st, 2014, 3:41 am

Lots of wisdom in this page, not much I can disagree with. The answer to the question "will X make me a skilled Y" is always no. Nobody can make you good at Y. In the end, it's all about your own want, effort, and staying power. The better question is "does this material contain the information that I need" or "is the information presented in a manner that would be easy for me to internalize". The answer to the first question is yes. Every topic covered here is something you're going to need to know if you want to create games with C++. The answer to the second question is only something you can answer. If you like the format and can understand my explanations then the answer to this is yes as well. Otherwise, you should be looking for another source of information.
Chili