Intermediate lesson 1 issue

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
robp

Intermediate lesson 1 issue

Post by robp » July 5th, 2013, 11:58 pm

Everything was working fine for me until about 2hrs 30 min into the lesson when I ran I would get this error:

Unhandled exception at 0x0f6d37ff (msvcr100d.dll) in ScoreBoard Test Bench.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xcccccccc.

When I set a break point and stepped through it turned out it was running everything fine until it got to this part in the Serialize function:

FILE* pFile = fopen( fileName,"w" );

Any thoughts on what the issue is? I've rewound a few times and paused to look at the code and it looks identical in every way so I can't figure out what's going wrong.

PS- I tried this without the txt file I called being there and with it being there and having no data and got the same error.

More specifically the error is occuring at this part of fopen.c:

Code: Select all

if(*file==_T('\0'))
        {
            errno=EINVAL;
            return NULL;
        }

LuisR14

Re: Intermediate lesson 1 issue

Post by LuisR14 » July 6th, 2013, 8:48 am

that exception would indicate that filename is set to a null pointer :P, most prolly you didn't pass a filename to the constructor of scoreboard :)
(since filename is null it can't deref it in the line if(*file==_T('\0')) )
always available, always on, about ~10 years c/c++, java[script], win32/directx api, [x]html/css/php/some asp/sql experience. (all self taught)
Knows English, Spanish and Japanese.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili]irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili[/url] [url=irc://luisr14.no-ip.org/#pchili]alt[/url] -- join up if ever want real-time help or to just chat :mrgreen: --