Red or blue

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
madmanjr

Red or blue

Post by madmanjr » May 14th, 2013, 9:35 pm

Like in the matrix, i am looking to get an answer wether i should take the red pill or the blue one....

What is the pill that helps me down to the bottom of the real programming skill...

Can anyone help me?

Fenlig

Re: Red or blue

Post by Fenlig » May 15th, 2013, 2:06 pm

I'm not quite clear on the question but that may be to do with my meager programming knowledge, but are you asking what languages you should learn. If if so it depends on what you want to program (Games or tools etc)

1. I believe 90% of games are in C++ so C++ is a great start.
2. Java is generally a good choice for tools as it works on a lot of platforms.

From what I understand most languages are built from C++ (correct me if I'm wrong) so its a good place to start.

Also I've found learning a languages unique syntax isn't the hardest were thinking of the code layout to achieve the output you want is and learning that in one language will help you so much with others.

Hope this helps :)

madmanjr

Post by madmanjr » May 15th, 2013, 8:01 pm

Thanx a lot for the info, i guess C++ is a good choice ...i was at first doubtfull because of the fact that assembly language was more direct, but now that i see the power of C and C++ ill stick to it.

Thanks a lot!

Fenlig

Post by Fenlig » May 15th, 2013, 9:16 pm

I think assembly is what everyone used before C and C++. Learning assembly would be like learning how to use steam engines rather than an electric engine :D

madmanjr

Post by madmanjr » May 15th, 2013, 10:01 pm

Tuuuuuuut , tuuuuuuuuuut :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgaEz1Xy0Rs

Cheers!

DreamBliss

Post by DreamBliss » May 16th, 2013, 1:45 am

Here is another vote for C++. Chili himself mentions this somewhere in the first tutorials. Main point is that if you learn C++ you can easily move on to other languages, because most of them are C++ based, or even C based, and C was the precursor to C++. Essentially if you know the, "One Language To Rule Them All... And In The Darkness Bind Them..." well then it's no problem moving to Java pr PHP or C# later.

In my own experience I started with C#. I wanted a managed language. I didn't want to have to do all the work like garbage collection. But that bit me in the arse because you can move to XNA from C#, however you have to have a computer with hardware from the last 2 years to do so (essentially.) So I got all these books I can't use. But I think it worked out. I think I will be better off with C++. It has allowed me to get some source code from old books up and running, which may have been harder to do on newer hardware. It may even help me analyze the Doom or Quake source code, as this was probably also written in C/C++.

Studying and understanding the code written by someone who basically started the 3D game industry should go a long way towards helping me master this language. In the end I intend to excel Carmack and Sweeney. Not as a competition, but simply because I feel we are due for another technological push and I want to be one of the folks who are pushing.

So yeah go with C++ and find out for yourself, "...how deep the rabbit hole goes..."
You create reality in your mind,
Before experiencing it as reality,
So if you want to change something,
First change what you think about it.

madmanjr

Post by madmanjr » May 16th, 2013, 7:31 am

Already on my way, DreamBliss, the thing is, i started on the commodore 64 ....yes im THAT old....and thats where is was programming assembly....since then i always wanted to learn to program on PC but could never make up what the best language was...maybe i was not interested enough, i guess so.

But thats also the reason i thought assembly was holy, so to speak.
I followed the lessons from Chili now, untill 11 and i am convinced now that im on the right track. Especially by the comments i get from u guys.
A fine detail about my former c64 programming is that the logical structure of the programming is exact the same only the commands and possibilities are different and more extended..... in other words i get the feeling im in my teens again while im programming in C++ :P :P :P :P :P :P

put slay radio on and the retrofeeling is complete!

http://www.slayradio.org/home.php

Having a blast!

Only thing i heve to get used 2 is that on the c64 u had to especially program the interrupt loop....and in the case of programming in chily´s framework you program constantly in an interruptloop.....

that is sort of confusing sometimes.... i would like to choose for myself wether i am on a repeatcourse or wether i am not.

Ah well, i will learn that i gusess....

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » May 17th, 2013, 1:52 am

C and C++ is just a more natural language that when compiled converts to assembly. memcpy is like MOV in assembly if I remember right...anywho, it's nice that we have an easier way of communicating with the cpu.

@madmanjr - You can still program without the loop, I suppose as long as you took care of a few details that, atleast Windows, needs to be taken care of.

1) Message Handling - Windows uses a function called WndProc to handle messages from input device, apps, and events like when to redraw the window or desktop. So as long as you checked in once in a while so the OS can manage those things you could get away from this part.

2) Frame Update - You would need to call a function to clear the frame and then a function to present the frame, separating the two functions with code to draw to the frame. You would have to do this each time you wanted to draw a new frame.

With having to call these at minimum these 3 functions, repeatedly wouldn't it make more sense to put them and your code in a loop instead of having to call these functions manually each time?
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

madmanjr

Post by madmanjr » May 17th, 2013, 11:19 am

@albinopapa, i will have to study on the two points u gave.

I dont have the overview yet about C++ as a whole, i just keep following the lessons and will probably get more understanding of the big picture.
Thanx for telling anyhow.

I am delighted to find so many nice people here to share info.
Its a real joy!
:D

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » May 22nd, 2013, 4:41 am

Hope you don't have ADD, no offense to anyone, chili's videos are, imo, the best for those that need things to be explained thoroughly...like me. Some of his videos are 2+ hours long. If you can make it through to the end of the intermediate series, I believe you will have a pretty good understanding of at least C/C++ and a small bit of Win32 API. As far as the DirectX API, you will have to look pray chili comes out with more tuts or look through the web.

The good news is these vids give you a pretty good foot hold on what to expect and he mentions some really helpful websites for reference when you get through the tuts. I would like to do some video tutorials on the stuff I'm learning about the DirectX API, I just fear I don't have the personality of chili to keep the attention of so many.

Anyway, glad you are here and good luck.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com