What are your thoughts on programming college?

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
nG Inverse

Re: What are your thoughts on programming college?

Post by nG Inverse » January 7th, 2013, 5:56 pm

I recently talked to a member on another forum board that I visit. He is currently working for Microsoft, as to the specifics I'm unsure. However, I know he has EXCELLENT knowledge in multiple computer languages (C, C++, Haskell, Pawn (scripting language)) and computer concepts all together (networking, encryption, reverse engineering, etc). An interesting thing he pointed out to be was if you are truly looking to get into your "standard programming" career, then go for a Software Engineering degree rather than a Computer Science one (though, most colleges in the US combine the courses or have Software Engineering a subset of Computer Science). He said it is much more about the programming and engineering aspect rather than theory, which is heavily applied in Computer Science.

He also said he knows quite a few friends who went to trade/vocational/apprentice school rather than the traditional four year college due to debt right after graduation. He said they are doing perfectly fine with their education and have just as equivalent job standings as he. This is something that had me rethinking the whole four year college approach! It's so damn complicated to pick now-a-days :)

I also want to hear Chili's opinion on this. Too bad he's been gone for decades :(

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » January 7th, 2013, 7:04 pm

I think chili anwered this on another forum. If I recall he HIGHLY recommends going the Comp Sci or Engineering route, regardless of your ultimate goal of working in games or otherwise. I believe he went the Engineering route if I recall... He should put up a bio tab on the site lol.

His rationale is pretty sound and I wish I could go back to being 22 and take one of those roads too. Basically, if you go computer science or engineering you open a lot more doors BUT can just as easily break into games as you would with a 'game design' or some other course under your belt.

Decebal

Post by Decebal » January 7th, 2013, 9:00 pm

I would probably just go for comp sci but I'm having trouble finding an affordable degree that isn't complete shit like devry or something