It randomly started crashing?

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
ItsTheSebbe

It randomly started crashing?

Post by ItsTheSebbe » January 3rd, 2013, 10:46 pm

Hey, Last night I was watching episode 7 of Chili's and everything worked out fine untill then. When I was done I went to bed. When I wanted to do the homework of his video it wouldn't start debugging anymore. If I build solution and it'll say up-to-date without any warnings or errors, and when I click start debugging it gives me these errors:
Unhandled exception at 0x00dc18cf in Chili DirectX Framework.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.

and in the call stack it says:

> Chili DirectX Framework.exe!wWinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInst, HINSTANCE__ * __formal, HINSTANCE__ * __formal, HINSTANCE__ * __formal) Line 121 + 0x6 bytes C++
Chili DirectX Framework.exe!__tmainCRTStartup() Line 547 + 0x1c bytes C
kernel32.dll!760c33aa()
[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for kernel32.dll]
ntdll.dll!777c9ef2()
ntdll.dll!777c9ec5()
I have no idea what I have to do now because I'm a total noob, hence the reason I'm only at episode 7 of his series. Here can you download the files: http://www.mediafire.com/?18dzwudi8jcqwid
Help would be greatly appreciated!

ItsTheSebbe

Re: It randomly started crashing?

Post by ItsTheSebbe » January 3rd, 2013, 10:56 pm

Sorry, I hadn't read the READ THIS FIRST topic. Here is the updated link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?tqdvrdjbj6wdlu5

HippoSocks

Post by HippoSocks » January 3rd, 2013, 11:20 pm

I believe that error is caused by a pixel getting outside the window.. I spent some time trying to recreate the error but I found nothing.

Check over your if statements for checking if its in window, and if possible, try note what the application does before it crashes, like if a pixel goes of screen for example.

From your call stack it suggests something went wrong in the wWinMain function in windows.cpp.
Have you changed anything in this file?

All that said, it worked fine for me, the lines went red when they when the shape thing was in the middle of the window.

If you can provide small bits of information on what happens before a crash I will take another look for you.

PS: I'd suggest uploading files as attachments, It's less hassle for the person downloading.
And I'd assume less hassle for you.
-Socks

ItsTheSebbe

Post by ItsTheSebbe » January 3rd, 2013, 11:42 pm

HippoSocks wrote:I believe that error is caused by a pixel getting outside the window.. I spent some time trying to recreate the error but I found nothing.

Check over your if statements for checking if its in window, and if possible, try note what the application does before it crashes, like if a pixel goes of screen for example.

From your call stack it suggests something went wrong in the wWinMain function in windows.cpp.
Have you changed anything in this file?

All that said, it worked fine for me, the lines went red when they when the shape thing was in the middle of the window.

If you can provide small bits of information on what happens before a crash I will take another look for you.

PS: I'd suggest uploading files as attachments, It's less hassle for the person downloading.
And I'd assume less hassle for you.
When I start debugging it just goes blanc and then it gives the error message. I think I didn't change anything in the windows.cpp, can't be completely sure, though. And now something else weird has happened, even when I download the fresh files from this site, it gives the same error:
Unhandled exception at 0x013c133a in Chili DirectX Framework.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.
I have no idea what's going on.

HippoSocks

Post by HippoSocks » January 3rd, 2013, 11:57 pm

That is rather strange, Everything is initialized in the constructor that is in Game.h, if you comment out the contents of ComposeFrame, will the window open to a blank screen and hang, without crashing?

I'm gonna assume that the framework runs out the box, but something in your code making it unhappy?

PS: I have also noticed you declared and initialized speed and c in ComposeFrame, Just to keep things tidy i'd suggest moving them into Game.h.
Plus it poops on all little mistakes that can cause glitches and errors later on..
-Socks

ItsTheSebbe

Post by ItsTheSebbe » January 4th, 2013, 12:43 am

HippoSocks wrote:That is rather strange, Everything is initialized in the constructor that is in Game.h, if you comment out the contents of ComposeFrame, will the window open to a blank screen and hang, without crashing?

I'm gonna assume that the framework runs out the box, but something in your code making it unhappy?

PS: I have also noticed you declared and initialized speed and c in ComposeFrame, Just to keep things tidy i'd suggest moving them into Game.h.
Plus it poops on all little mistakes that can cause glitches and errors later on..
I made a video where you see me downloading the fresh files from the site and crashing. My computer was a little bit slow because of the recording. I tried to make it an attachment but after 5 minutes it was still uploading, so again, I uploaded it on mediafire.
http://www.mediafire.com/?fwtry48pa5kq35s
This is the code you see at the end:

'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Users\Sebbe\Desktop\Chili DirectX Framework\Release\Chili DirectX Framework.exe', Symbols loaded.
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\d3d9.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcrt.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sechost.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rpcrt4.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sspicli.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cryptbase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\user32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\gdi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\lpk.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\usp10.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\advapi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\version.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\d3d8thk.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dwmapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr100.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\imm32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msctf.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\uxtheme.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Game Booster 3\FPS.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Game Booster 3\D3DX8Wrapper.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Game Booster 3\d3dx10_43.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ole32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Game Booster 3\d3dx11_43.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Game Booster 3\D3DCompiler_43.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.windows.gdiplus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.1.7601.17825_none_72d273598668a06b\GdiPlus.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\comdlg32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shlwapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_5.82.7601.17514_none_ec83dffa859149af\comctl32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shell32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\oleaut32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\sahook.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\D3DX9_43.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
DetourAttach TruePresentD9 okDetourAttach TruePresentChainD9 ok'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\clbcatq.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atiu9pag.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atiumdag.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'Chili DirectX Framework.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atiumdva.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x2134) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x25c8) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x1f80) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x21d0) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
First-chance exception at 0x00b0133a in Chili DirectX Framework.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.
Unhandled exception at 0x00b0133a in Chili DirectX Framework.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.
First-chance exception at 0x00b0133a in Chili DirectX Framework.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.
Unhandled exception at 0x00b0133a in Chili DirectX Framework.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.

HippoSocks

Post by HippoSocks » January 4th, 2013, 1:11 am

Mine gives the exact same output as in that video, but mine runs.. What version of DirectX SDK do you have and what version of windows do you run ( 32bit or 64bit )?
-Socks

nbmatt

Post by nbmatt » January 4th, 2013, 1:30 am

That is quite strange. I've downloaded your project and it ran fine for me.

HippoSocks

Post by HippoSocks » January 4th, 2013, 1:44 am

nbmatt wrote:That is quite strange. I've downloaded your project and it ran fine for me.
Isn't it just. I'm starting to think he might need to install/reinstall DirectX SDK(June 2010) or check if his color is set to 32 bit in this control panel some place.. I can't remember where... :?

But the same error he reported happens for me when a pixel escapes my window..
It could be a lot of things.. :roll:

I'd suggest re installing
  • -Visual Studio
    -DirectX SDK( June 2010 )
Hopefully someone with more experience stumbles upon this..

EDIT: I Believe rwk.williams is having a similar problem, I imagine you have the DirectX 9 User-End Run Times?
-Socks

nbmatt

Post by nbmatt » January 4th, 2013, 4:56 am

As Chili would say, you managed to "fuck" something up.

Do you have skype and teamviewer? If you wouldn't mind, perhaps I can go through your setup and see what the problem is.