[UPDATE 3.5]Angry Square

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
natox1986

Re: [UPDATE 3.5]Angry Square

Post by natox1986 » December 20th, 2012, 3:48 pm

HippoSocks wrote:It was when the apple spawned at the top left, A pixel of the leaf escaped the screen, It shouldn't happen again, I have stopped the apples spawning so close to the edges.

Thanks for pointing that out, Else I wouldn't of noticed it. ;)
No problem man! :)

codinitup

Post by codinitup » December 21st, 2012, 5:15 am

Well I did notice a few things in this, first off there is way too slow of a start. I think the spikes should be generated more like every 50 - 60 points. The next thing would be that the health fruit spawns way too often. I don't really know what code you're using because I haven't looked at it, but try something like this to make the fruit appear less, only when the score goes higher though...P.S the following code should only be calculated only when the next fruit needs to be drawn. If I didn't write it clear enough the message I am trying to convey to you is to use a calculated percentage that will go down less the higher your score goes up. You can apply it to more than just one fruit, but I think that the only one that truly needs it is the health fruit, it spawns way too often for the game to get hard.

Code: Select all

int prevScore = 0;
int score = 0;
int random = 25
int random2 = rand() % 25;
int healthPeachChance = rand() % (101 + random)
if (score == prevScore)
{
if (!(random < 10)
{
random -= 1;
}
if (random == random2)
{
  prevScore += 100;
gfx.DrawHealthPeach(int x,int y);
}
this may not work, mostly because I'm not the best programmer in the world, but you can take it an modify it from here. Nice work on the game though, you really did a good job at putting the thing together. I think that when you make the health fruit thing spawn less in the later rounds you can really get some challenging moments in there. Another cool thing would be modes. For example a "classic" game mode, which would be the current game mode you have now, and then maybe a "survival" game mode, which would be the same thing as the original only instead of spikes you have more enemy's spawn and some are faster than others, and maybe there could be a store to buy allies and other accessories. (you should probably implement scrolling to save some space on the screen btw) etc...but once again good job on the game and I would love to see some other features added soon ;)
MOOOOOO

HippoSocks

Post by HippoSocks » December 21st, 2012, 4:03 pm

I have been thinking about changing the chances of them spawning, but for now I am alright with it.

I am considering a difficulty selection screen, and then using something similar to what you suggested but in a slightly different way.

Classic and Survival does sound like a good idea, but then I would need to re write a lot of the apple spawning code and maybe make the enemy move limited to 8 directions again for the classic mode.

For saving space on the screen, scrolling is an option I don't really want to take yet, I'm still fairly new to programming and the concept just doesn't like my brain just yet.. :lol:

I like you idea about more enemies and that they should have different speeds, but I can't quite get the different speeds since the current one doesn't have a constant speed, it increased as the score goes up.

Saving this bit for last would be that store idea, to give a reason to keep going back I was gonna add lots of sprites hard coded, not using bmp's to stop people just cheating there way to a new texture pack, and have it so you can head to the store and buy new texture packs and select what one you wish to use once it is purchased, maybe even add power ups like, extra health, allow the health to go over 100 for a game, or speed boost that can be activated any point in the game, even health apples that can be dropped into the game when the player needs it.

If I do the store idea I would set it up so every time the score goes up every 100 in a game it will add 5 coins, and there will be bonus coins that spawn it, that just randomly float across the screen, at a random speed, for the player to try grab before it either touches the enemy or reaches the other side.

Now that store would be, and little bit of a mission to add.. Just think of all that code.. :shock:
But I am willing to add a few of your idea's in the future, for now, it's back to bug fixing. :cry:
-Socks

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » December 21st, 2012, 6:13 pm

Hey Socks!

I'm liking the improvements. What made you decide to take out the safety zone?

If you want your cursor to be only the custom one you can get rid of the windows cursor using
SetCursor(NULL); and the arrow won't show up, just your custom one.

Another suggestion for down the road, I'm sure you already plan to do this, but you should have a different sound for when they pick up the bad apple. Maybe a brown "Ewwww" marker where you put the perk stuff too haha.

HippoSocks

Post by HippoSocks » December 21st, 2012, 8:01 pm

I removed the safety zone because at the start the enemy is now easier to get away from, he is slightly slower, So there is no need for it any more, because as the score increases the game gets harder.

So basically, I removed it to try keep some balance at the start of the game.

When I use SetCursor( NULL ) it doesn't change.. I tried ShowCursor( FALSE ) and it worked fine. I don't know if you men't Show but put Set my accident or not or if I'm just doing it wrong.. :lol:

I can't find a sound I like on freesound.org where I got the other 2 sounds from, If anyone suggests one or something, that isn't to long I will just use the one suggested because I'm far to picky. :lol:

As for adding "Ewww" I need some colors else its staying brown, which I can hardly see, But I'm planning on adding it. :lol:
-Socks

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » December 21st, 2012, 9:29 pm

Hmmm, SetCursor(NULL); works for me. But if ShowCursor is a better solution use it. SetCursor is good when you want to create your own cursors, which after spending many hours doing so myself, I can say it is all but pointless, so I wouldn't bother. However, putting SetCursor(NULL); in your Game::Go function should still remove your cursor regardless, but perhaps I am missing a small detail required like an #include or handle...

As for color and sound for the crab apple, you could pay homage to Chili and write POOOFACE!!! and use his poo sound as the effect for now hahahahahahaha

HippoSocks

Post by HippoSocks » December 21st, 2012, 9:35 pm

Using SetCursor works on my desktop but not my laptop.. :lol:

I don't think that poo sounds is quite right for a rotten icky apple.. :( But I do like the idea. ;)
-Socks

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » December 21st, 2012, 10:57 pm

Odd.

True, unless it's a road/horse apple. Then it applies quite nicely lol

HippoSocks

Post by HippoSocks » December 21st, 2012, 11:00 pm

thetoddfather wrote:Odd.

True, unless it's a road/horse apple. Then it applies quite nicely lol
Paha, once I have some time to work on the project I shall add a few more gross apples..
Then there can be load of gross sounds to be used.. :lol:
Possibly a pie as well, that can optionally be thrown at the enemy.. ;)
-Socks

Zionich

Post by Zionich » December 26th, 2012, 5:33 am

Love the way the eyes move now.