Practice ideas?

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
lloganm

Practice ideas?

Post by lloganm » November 26th, 2012, 2:30 am

So I just finished beginner lesson 18, and something crossed my mind. I've been learning all these things but never really tried them that much outside of the tutorials. I find it very hard to think of stuff to do so I can practice, so I was wondering if you guys had any ideas for practice projects, unoriginal or original, I think me and lots others would appreciate it. Thanks guys :)

adabo

Re: Practice ideas?

Post by adabo » November 28th, 2012, 4:21 am

I think it's called "writers block". I get it from time to time. You don't have to be a total right-brain Leonardo da Vinci, however.

Some things I like to do to keep my coding habits up is just make something useful for my daily life on the computer. Like if I need to automate renaming files or whatever. Or make a UI using the chili framework. Just put some circles on there and click them to open files and whatever.

But if you genuinely can't get your creative juices going, you probably just need some inspiration (or sometimes a break from programming altogether). Try Rosetta code for some ideas. From time to time I like to peruse the index to see if it gives me any ideas.

Lorth

Post by Lorth » November 28th, 2012, 7:38 am

Hey.

I found this page for keeping some coding going:

http://projecteuler.net/problems

mostly problem solving but hey that is fun too.

LuX

Post by LuX » November 28th, 2012, 2:31 pm

For beginners the best idea would be to recreate some old games. They are very much pixel based and fairly simple to make, with some areas needing a bit more experience, so they are perfect test for your skills. And if you get stuck the internet will be full of help.

Games like pacman, tetris, space invader, missile command might be good.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

viruskiller

Post by viruskiller » November 28th, 2012, 6:22 pm

you forgot snake:P, and if u can do it with linked lists i'd say u learned quite a bit:D.
i did it and had a few bumps but it worked out in the end:).
the way i did it was to use a linked list that always ads a new object to the head of snake and deletes the one at the taill each move.
getting it to turn properly and delete right after tail end is the triky part and also where u will trully understand how it works:P