Releasing something?

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Clodi

Releasing something?

Post by Clodi » November 25th, 2012, 10:22 pm

Hei guys.
What if, using Chili Framework, I make a game and I want to show it to my friends?

1) Can I do that?

2) How? Would sending the .exe release version be enough?

Thanks,
I am farly new into the videogame thing.
Last edited by Clodi on February 3rd, 2013, 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Muttley

Re: Releasing something?

Post by Muttley » November 26th, 2012, 12:32 am

1) Yes.

2) You have to send the Release folder with all resources you used in your game ( images, sounds, videos... etc ).

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » November 27th, 2012, 1:39 pm

Also keep in mind that if your friend doesn't have visual studio installed you'll need to either statically link to the runtime library or include the crt dll with your game.
Chili

Clodi

Post by Clodi » November 28th, 2012, 5:19 am

Hello CHilli!

Will we ever able to "make" our own framework or will be going forth using yours until the end of the tutorial and then we ll have to learn how to make one somewhere else?

last question
Could you please tell me how to initialise a structure? (not declaring it, you DO explain that in lesson 15) I am following your tutorials becasue they are amazing and I am now willing to do some serious and drastic "house cleaning" and get my game to run properly but I can't initialise any structure.. I declare it in "game.h" but I can't use it then

Thank you in advance for your answer, and if you don't anwer, in fact, if you are not even reading all this, thank you so much for your tutorials. I wanted to make games one year ago, so I bought a book and everything but as things were getting chanllenging I quit. Now I started off again and with your help and your framework I got my first (simple but good) game down in two week. I'd really like to show it to you but have no idea how to pass it (that's why my original post).

Thanks,

Clodi

FoxDonut

Post by FoxDonut » November 28th, 2012, 6:24 am

I also would like to build my own framework. I feel that if i don't know how to do that, then i don't want to learn how to build on it. It's just how i am i suppose, but i want to start from the ground up on my own projects. I feel like i will also come to a better understanding on how everything works together if i can do that.

Please do a tut on that :D

LuX

Post by LuX » November 28th, 2012, 2:18 pm

I thought his tutorial DID explain roughly how to make your own framework. Making your own framework is nothing where you want to follow a step by step tutorial, as making your own framework means that you type and lay it out as you want it to be. There's not "one correct" way of making a framework so it's up to you how you want to build it.

But yeah, he's tutorials so far explain all the key parts so do some research on your own and try to figure out stuff by your self and you should be able to do one on your own.

How I made my framework: Start with a new project and think about the games I have made and what kind of a framework would work best for my needs, then I copy some parts from chili and find some more online to get a basic version running. Next I start changing it step by step and adding things as I need to make it personalized and work easily on the style I make games.

Even after I have it complete I will always find some new things to add or better ways to do something so once you got your "favorite" framework version up and going you will keep evolving it better and better as you progress.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

NaturalDemon

Post by NaturalDemon » November 28th, 2012, 6:08 pm

FoxDonut wrote:I also would like to build my own framework. I feel that if i don't know how to do that, then i don't want to learn how to build on it. It's just how i am i suppose, but i want to start from the ground up on my own projects. I feel like i will also come to a better understanding on how everything works together if i can do that.

Please do a tut on that :D
man ... you wasted ... time! ... just by thinking that.

there is nothing special about the framework .... it the pure basics to run a directx 2D program.
if you would remove the drawcircle, line and other few functions chili explains in his videos.

just investigate what you want, using the framework ... if you don't like chili methods .... don't use em ... i wonder how you could improve them .... in faqt ... some of them actually are far from perfect & need some work .... because there are not failure proof ... it's just the basic .... chili saved you some time creating the window code and declaring the directx setup.

only assembler code would speed up the framework .....

don't start to code ... before you watched all his videos.
make notes ... on real paper ... i made the exact same drawings when he explained pointers ...

make sure .. you understand boolean ... very sure avout what < > <= => += -= != ... can do!
your code can be 100% perfect ... but just a slight fault ... can make you peer the screen for hours and not knowing why.
everything gotta be perfect ... you wil doing billions of calculation .. and you have no garbage collector ... you gotta understand chili's hidden messages

the clue is to draw pictures and draw a real time movie .. that you are the director off.
i had second life (and modeling experience) .... and stuf!
but .... i had no clue ... we manipulate ram!

chili explains very wel .... but the linked list, the swap, .... are not his inventions ... lol
i have downloaded some books after and i swore ... i have seen exact phrases ....
but none te less .. it was aweomse ....
i almost got a hart attack .. because of his "perfect amnesia" quote ... hahaha
chili picked and explained the very usefull basic stuff in execptional great detail ... and believe me .. i have several O'reilly safari ... books ... you need to findout the rest yourself ... directx has tool for importing picture ...
but for those who are smart ... wil find out .... he is showing ... all the nessesary stuff ....
he shows you ... that you can open files ... file headers of bitmaps ...
but adding a bit more code to chili algorythm ... you can actually also open avi or any other files aswel.

i started coding ... around Oktober 28th, 2012 ....
i have been peering te framework ever since ... pretty much non stop ... inter changed with modern ware3/call of duty black ops II ... some times you gotta let go ...
i only added threaded pixel objects and (pixels precise) colision ...

if you don't know what you doing ... i asumme you wil not be beabled to resolve the math needed ...
you can use newton laws ... but the computer can do that in a few cycle ... meaning you pixel ... wil travel 100.000km/h over the screen ... and it all about making it seam ... it realy happens REALTIME
that's your aim!
make a reusable real time engine ...

be aware of the hidden messages ... : )
... and use brakepoints for fun

and whit some addaption for open gl or so ... this should also run ... on mac ... if you follow the standart ...

the power is unlimited ... if you know the basic stuff... not limited to games!!!!

adabo

Post by adabo » November 28th, 2012, 6:22 pm

Run for your lives! The Ellipses are taking over! NaturalDemon's already been turned, but we still have a chance!

NaturalDemon

Post by NaturalDemon » November 28th, 2012, 7:00 pm

: )
i know ... i gues i slipped there
hahaha

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » November 28th, 2012, 8:34 pm

Hahaha, abado, I didn't even notice that while reading it...