Lesson 13 brain melt

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
adabo

Lesson 13 brain melt

Post by adabo » October 28th, 2012, 7:33 am

(Skip to long story short for summary)

Wow. I was thinking, back when we plotted our first circle: "Man... this math is what I struggled with in school. Geez I'm going to be doomed to failure during this course." But I pressed on, nevertheless.

Then the homework. Make the tictactoe game AI. Didn't happen. I have the idea in my head but just couldn't translate to code.

Finally, lesson 13 with the D3D. Well, I think I'm in over my head, which is no part related to Chili's teaching methods. He explains constantly to drill in the head and takes moments to ponder.

Then what scared me the most is when he said: Pointers are complex and will be hard. Omg... the circles was already hard.

Long story short: The math is hard, the d3d over my head, but I love learning. Any encouraging thoughts to help soldier on?

@Chili: Thanks again for the tuts. Keep them coming! I'll do what I can to keep up.

LuX

Re: Lesson 13 brain melt

Post by LuX » October 28th, 2012, 9:14 am

Skip the crap and watch some lessons forward until you get a firm grip of the shaft of programming. From that point onward the first couple of lessons seem like a waste imo. I mean the circle and line drawing stuff are of course important, but it's more math then coding so it kinda tends to scare people away.

So once you get that moment of clarity and you don't have to struggle with the actual coding, you can start focusing on logic and math and all that hard stuff.

The best thing for you to do is try make a small game yourself. Whether it's just a ball moving around the screen or something else REALLY simple, you'll learn better when you try yourself. And don't expect to learn this stuff overnight and even after you have the basic idea you'll learn more all the time.

I guess that's about it.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

adabo

Re: Lesson 13 brain melt

Post by adabo » October 30th, 2012, 6:03 am

Thank you LuX! You're words were helpful. I decided to just use the information that I understood and just play with it (as little as it is). And I was happy with the results :)

I can't wait till I learn the maths involved. This will be a fun adventure.