Screen-Smash - Test My Game!!!

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
chili
Site Admin

Re: Screen-Smash - Test My Game!!!

Post by chili » November 1st, 2012, 1:28 pm

Works perfect on my machine now. Good job bro. :)
Chili

Natories

Post by Natories » November 1st, 2012, 5:32 pm

thetoddfather,

This is a great program! Good job ... I am using it on the other computers in the house as well as my own, just to give others something to do besides browse the internet! LOL

Natories

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » November 1st, 2012, 8:33 pm

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys! :mrgreen:

Asimov, it looks like your task bar is popping in. If you have autohide turned on for your taskbar, shut it off and try again. Might fix it?? Other than that I am not sure. That's my best guess though. When your cursor is in range it throws up the taskbar and resizes the game. Turning this off should stop that. Anyone else have any ideas?

adabo, THANKS! Yes, your screen cap software probably uses the same hotkey. Glad you got it running well in the end though.

Chili, thanks! Still gotta convince you to lend me your expertise and help me update my screen cap function to something more modern though.

Natories, awesome dude. That is what I'm going for here. I want people to crack this baby out every once in awhile and blow off some stress!

Made some small, but nice changes to have done. All damage is printed in 8 different ways now, inverting the image's x and y's randomly when it puts it to the background which has a nicer look. Zippo's got a new sound. And last but not least, our M4A1 assault rifle has been upgraded with an alpha-blended laser sight for a more precise screen smashin' experience :twisted:

FINALLY moving on to bring some life into this baby. Probably add a right click menu for you to choose your poison with, and something alive onscreen for you to burn, squish and put rounds into.
Last edited by thetoddfather on November 1st, 2012, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Asimov

Post by Asimov » November 1st, 2012, 8:47 pm

Hi Todfather,

I don't use autohide. My taskbar is always visible. It is not a problem for me though as long as it works for everyone else. I take out my frustrations while 3D modelling heh heh. I just thought I would let you know that there is a problem. Perhaps no one else tried moving their cursor to the bottom of the screen.

Spent last night making the rear lights for the car.
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » November 1st, 2012, 9:47 pm

Damn, I would like to figure it out. I am pretty sure you're the only one getting this issue so far, but I would still like to fix it.

I forgot to add the 3-Round Burst-Mode to the M4. So here's the updated version. Press Space to toggle between single and 3-round mode.

Prob be awhile before I get another version up with life, so hope you enjoy this one.

Again, calling on anyone with ideas on what might be causing Asimov's issue! Help!

And, let me know what you guys think of the changes.
Last edited by thetoddfather on November 3rd, 2012, 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » November 2nd, 2012, 6:11 pm

Asimov,

I have made a bunch of changes to the creation and implimentation of the window in windows.cpp in hopes of fixing the glitch you're having. I have a feeling it wont fix it, but we'll see.

Hopefully it does without creating any new issues for yourself or others.

Let me know if there's any improvement.
Attachments
ScreenSmash 0.74b.rar
(901.82 KiB) Downloaded 133 times

Asimov

Post by Asimov » November 2nd, 2012, 6:24 pm

Hi Todfather,

No it doesn't solve the issue. Also there is a strange red line coming out the end of the machine gun.

I do think it is odd when fire burns down. Fire usually burns up. I think you could also randimise your fire animations which would add more realism.
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » November 2nd, 2012, 6:42 pm

The red line is supposed to be a laser sight for aiming hahaha.

I suppose the fire should only burn up but I was more thinking as if it were a flat surface. In time I want to do a lot more with the fire effect, it's more of a basic implimentation for now. Down the road I will be doing more to make it realistic, but the focus is always going to be more on fun than realism.

I like where you're going with those suggestions. I think I was more copying the original, which had fire spread in a similar way. Randomization of the animation frame? Or randomize the direction the fire travels? Randomizatioin of the fire's direction, so it changes course a few times randomly is on my to-do list for sure.

I probably will make it always go up like you say. We'll see.

I am completely out of ideas for why it is doing that on your computer. The only other thing I can think of is some background program interfering. I personally have tested this on 7 computers and not seen it. Seems no one else is having the issue either. SUCKS, I'd like to fix this.

LuX

Post by LuX » November 2nd, 2012, 10:08 pm

To fix the problem you could make the game REAL fullscreen. There's a topic somewhere on how to do this if you can't figure it out. I think chili gave it as a challenge in some lesson in intermediate, so you should try it yourself first before "cheating".
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Asimov

Post by Asimov » November 3rd, 2012, 12:17 am

Hi Todfather,

I agree with Lux you need a proper full screen program to get around this. At the moment you are making the window the same size as the screen and that is why it is scrolling up. I have no background processes which are causing this.

With the fire you obviously have one animation sprite. If you had a few different fire animation sprites in differents spreads and patterns and used them randomly it would give you a more realistic look to the fire. I won't mention smoke hee hee.

I am pretty good with fire. Check out my avatar. If you want to see my avatar animated check out one of my posts on http://www.max-realms.com
----> Asimov