Full screen or windowed games

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Dio Brando

Re: Full screen or windowed games

Post by Dio Brando » October 13th, 2012, 9:14 am

It seems you misunderstood my post, I said nothing about LOD models being "created" on the fly :? . I'm not Italian either, though I'm 1/4 Italian 8-)

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » October 13th, 2012, 10:42 am

Dio Brando wrote:
chili wrote: Basically, what you do is have your resources in the highest resolution possible, and then whenever you change display resolution, you reload resources from the HQ version and scale them down.
You're thinking of textures being applied to a surface here, right? It might not hold true for every possible game 'cause there are some instances in which a bitmap will have to be resized in game time without much of a way around it. Example: a classic FPS like Doom, in which every map unit you move towards/away from an enemy sprite will scale it by a small factor.

Also, games that use sprites extensively typically shoot for a target resolution (in Doom's case, 320x240 IIRC, so enemies range from 90x90 to like 128x128 tops, despite the fact they WILL get scaled) instead of having them be like 4000x4000 and just about never be seen in their actual size (always distorted from downscaling) in the small (relative) space they'll be occupying during gameplay. I mean, can you imagine how fucking huge your monitor would have to be for a 4k by 4k enemy sprite to show up without distortion in a corridor from a Doom level? :o

Random thought: Scaling bitmaps on the fly shouldn't really be a problem, especially with our current hardware. But if it ever was an issue, I suppose you could do something like simulate LOD settings for the sprites (say: On resolution definition, pre-resize like 12 different sprite sizes, and swap one for another according to the distance from the player actor). I'm trying to imagine the effect and it's looking like dog poop, though :lol:
I think you missed the point of our conversation here brah. :lol: Games like doom are another bag all together, but the same ideas apply. You have your sprite at some super high resolution on disk. You load it and scale it down to whatever working resolution suits your game screen resolution. Then you scale it as necessary, applying whatever filtering processing you can afford. No excess distortion brah. No sweat.
Chili

Asimov

Post by Asimov » October 13th, 2012, 11:01 am

Hi Chilli,

Yes that is exactly what I meant.

@Dio Brando
3D models generally don't need scaling.
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

Lorth

Post by Lorth » October 15th, 2012, 1:14 pm

Hey Guys!

What i first get in mind from the titel of this post is. What is better to use when programming a game, should i got fullscreen or windowed and what is the advantage or disadvantage doing so?

Is anyone here able to make a short overview of this :D

Dio Brando

Post by Dio Brando » October 15th, 2012, 5:01 pm

Lorth wrote:Hey Guys!

What i first get in mind from the titel of this post is. What is better to use when programming a game, should i got fullscreen or windowed and what is the advantage or disadvantage doing so?

Is anyone here able to make a short overview of this :D
Lesson 4 Intermediate (I think?) goes over the perks of windowed/fullscreen a bit. You probably shouldn't worry about it too much right now, though 8-)