Back to business

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
TheEliteMaker

Back to business

Post by TheEliteMaker » July 19th, 2012, 4:40 pm

Hey dudes

I'm looking for some tips. I'm thinking of getting a new laptop (tablet) and obviously I want to be able to program on it. Do any of you guys have any recommendations for me? Please note, I am an inpatient S o B and don't wanna spend ages wiring for my program's to compile. Budget is around £500.00

Advice appreciated.

On another note, I'm just back from a business trip in Holland and wanna catch up with my programming but the fiancé is bugging me to spend some time with her. The quandary is, do I invest some time with her now hoping that I'll get more in the future!? ;)

LuX

Re: Back to business

Post by LuX » July 19th, 2012, 9:28 pm

Dunno much about different tablets, but if your looking forward to code a lot, a laptop might be better if you need a mobile computer (or why not a hybrid with touch screen and keyboard). Else, you'll always get more for your money when you buy a table top.

Can't help you with your fiance, there : -P
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Asimov

Post by Asimov » July 19th, 2012, 10:04 pm

Hi Elitemaker,

I always use Thinkpads because they are reliable and have some power. However they are not cheap, but for £500 you would get a pretty decent Lenovo. There are cheaper alternatives, but I wouldn't have any other laptop other than a thinkpad.

As for programming, unless you are doing really taxing 3D, then you won't be pushing your processor too hard.

I do all my 3D design on my laptop and I use a Lenovo Thinkpad T510 with 8Gb of ram. For programming you won't need that much RAM though. I can play modern games like Burnout Paradise and Deadspace quite easily. Also Thinkpads use the Nvidia graphics cards.

Good thing about a laptop is that you can spend time with your fianci and still use the laptop on the sofa. Tell her that you are working to a better a future and not just playing Unreal Tournament LOL.

Asimov
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » July 20th, 2012, 3:13 am

Just make sure that the laptop has a proper discreet graphics card and it'll be all good.
Chili