Game layout

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
nG Inverse

Game layout

Post by nG Inverse » July 19th, 2012, 12:20 pm

Hello,

I'm posting here today to get some insight on how I could approach my next project. At the core, it will be a ramp-up version of Castle Defense. I have already taken the time to work out the AI and the general function of the game, such as buying and placing machines, making them fire, etc. My only question now is how I should load the maps; I plan on having many.

What I mean by that is, how should they be loaded and made? For those that don't know, the AI will have a certain path to follow on the screen to reach an objective. I was thinking about making an image of the "map" screen and simply making nodes for the NPCs to follow at various coordinates. This is possible, but I would run into other difficulties like trying to figure out other aspects of the map, which would make it all static and hard to create (like if there is water and the turret could be put on it).

My current idea is a plausible and honestly the only one I could think of. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could do this a different, easier, and more dynamic way?

Thanks!

PS - After re-reading this post, I realize how poorly written and hard to follow it is. Please excuse this as I'm working off of no sleep (damn insomnia!). I'll re-write it later, hopefully :D

LuX

Re: Game layout

Post by LuX » July 19th, 2012, 9:23 pm

Can't say much without knowing how the game will be.

Easiest might be to have each level based on a tile system. Like tiles that can't be walked on and path tiles, etc. Then just set each tile info in a row to a text file.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

nG Inverse

Post by nG Inverse » July 20th, 2012, 2:44 am

Thanks for the reply!

That's interesting, I wonder why I never thought of using that type of system, as I've used it in almost every other type of game I created related to this genre. I may use that approach indeed, unless someone has another suggestion.

Just so people know, this is the type of game I'm going for (it'll just be more complicated and updated): http://www.coolmath-games.com/0-castled ... index.html

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » July 20th, 2012, 3:02 am

It would be fun to draw a background in photoshop or whatever, and then extract the path information etc. from the image itself algorithmically. Another option would be to draw a dumb backgound on one layer and then path/region information on one or more other layers in photoshop. Save the layers as separate images. The dumb layer is displayed during the game and the other layers are parsed by the game model and the path/region information is extracted.
Chili

nG Inverse

Post by nG Inverse » July 20th, 2012, 11:49 pm

Yeah, that would make it much easier separating them into layers and using them for different things. That would allow me to have the visual effects I desire as well as being able to get the individual attributes of certain areas easily! The only problem with that is I don't have Photoshop or any other program that supports layers, AFAIK. If I can find one that is free, I'll definitely use that approach.

Thanks for the help guys!

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » July 21st, 2012, 6:54 am

Use the GIMP!
Chili

LuX

Post by LuX » July 21st, 2012, 10:26 am

GIMP is utter crap. If you need a good and free program, paint.net is the closest thing to photoshop and free too.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » July 21st, 2012, 10:56 am

Your mom.

Gimp has a lot more advanced features, but I will agree that Paint.net is easier to use and is better integrated into Windows (GIMP is originally a linux app).
Chili