The differences between Java and C++?

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
ocunder

The differences between Java and C++?

Post by ocunder » July 15th, 2012, 10:53 am

I have been studying java lately, I wanted to get some information on if I should or should not continue to study java. I want to keep my options open, just saying.
Last edited by ocunder on July 17th, 2012, 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

ocunder

Re: My local college language is Java

Post by ocunder » July 15th, 2012, 11:57 am

How much am I restrained when using Java vs C++.. that's my real question, a question i've been looking for actually. Is it mostly memory allocation and dynamic memory control? (whatever that means lol).. I read that somewhere. but it only pertained to memory usage, is there no other restraints?

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » July 15th, 2012, 12:14 pm

Java is an interpreted language so it will not be able to match the speed of an optimized native application, and Java does not have the same level of access to hardware resources such as a native application or even a .NET app.
Chili

simplicity

Post by simplicity » July 16th, 2012, 1:29 am

chili wrote:Java is an interpreted language so it will not be able to match the speed of an optimized native application, and Java does not have the same level of access to hardware resources such as a native application or even a .NET app.
I keep on reading Java is easier programming language to learn. But, C++ is too hard. Java seems much easier. Was wondering, surely the ease of Java makes it better, than C++?

Plus with Java you can easily embed games into a website. Sort of like what Minecraft did.

ocunder

Post by ocunder » July 16th, 2012, 4:03 am

simplicity wrote:
chili wrote:Java is an interpreted language so it will not be able to match the speed of an optimized native application, and Java does not have the same level of access to hardware resources such as a native application or even a .NET app.
I keep on reading Java is easier programming language to learn. But, C++ is too hard. Java seems much easier. Was wondering, surely the ease of Java makes it better, than C++?

Plus with Java you can easily embed games into a website. Sort of like what Minecraft did.
Well.. on account of studying Java for the past two days.. I'd say its kind of harder then c++.. Thats just my opinion though, I've only truly been studying it for two days.

chili
Site Admin

Re: The differences between Java and C++?

Post by chili » July 17th, 2012, 2:47 am

Generally people say that C++ is more difficult, but really they are very similar. C++ has more features which makes it difficult to master the entire language (although just because a language has certain features doesn't mean you need to learn them all or use them all), and C++ does less hand-holding, so it requires you to be a safer/better programmer.

That being said, the complexity of the problem you're trying to solve will generally be such that it dwarfs any difference in difficulty between languages, so it really doesn't matter much in the end (I think).
Chili

Asimov

Post by Asimov » July 17th, 2012, 8:42 pm

Hi all,

I read that both Java and php were actually based on C++ in the first place. So I would advise learning C++ and maybe using java when needed.

I have toyed with Java, for web applications, but I much prefer C++.

Asimov
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

magusofmirrors

Post by magusofmirrors » July 17th, 2012, 11:37 pm

My big brother says that it just comes down to what language seems easier to you. If you had learned any oop language beforehand, then you would have been able to master C++ or Java quite easily afterwards as you need not worry about anything but syntax(and memory management for c++(but that isn't too hard if you make creative analogies to help you understand it(I stacked too many ()'s here))).

So pretty much, go with whatever and then you can transition quite easily afterwards. ;J
The admins are coming!!!