Want to learn Math and other subjects?

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
ocunder

Want to learn Math and other subjects?

Post by ocunder » July 14th, 2012, 10:50 am

I've contemplated whether or not I was going to post this thread for the past 2 days because I don't want to spam this forum.. because I have respect for you all and the concentration you have on sharing programming ideas, concepts, and projects; but I've decided to post it because I feel that thru this website and its software (link at the bottom), that you and I can really benefit ourselves and understand some of the mathematical knowledge which is valued in programming.

Now this guy who runs the site is named, Sal Khan. I think he graduated from Harvard.. but anyways, hes a great teacher and him and his staff or school you may call it, is a non-profit organization attempting to bring free education to the world. He is supported by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation as well as many others.

You can even see him on the news with Bill Gates and other humanitarians discussing online software as the future of education. Anyways I hope that this post can be valued, again I don't intend on spamming, I have a lot of respect for Chili and what he does here, thanks Chili!

http://www.khanacademy.org/
Last edited by ocunder on July 14th, 2012, 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LuX

Re: Want to learn Math and other subjects?

Post by LuX » July 14th, 2012, 11:57 am

Not a spam at all, don't worry. We are not autobots filtering all websites people post here, in most cases it's clear when someone has good or commercial intentions.

The site looks pretty decent, something I will bookmark for future use, tho my math teacher does something similar in smaller scale of what we have learned at my school.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » July 14th, 2012, 1:46 pm

Shit like this is always welcome ocunder. ;)

I know of khan from the link that Plump keeps on his YouTube channel, and it seems like a really good place to learn about a bunch of topics.

I think I've said before that you don't need to know a lot of advanced math or physics to be able to make a basic game, but definately knowing more will expand the range of topics you can cover.
Chili

ocunder

Post by ocunder » July 14th, 2012, 5:47 pm

chili wrote:Shit like this is always welcome ocunder. ;)

I know of khan from the link that Plump keeps on his YouTube channel, and it seems like a really good place to learn about a bunch of topics.

I think I've said before that you don't need to know a lot of advanced math or physics to be able to make a basic game, but definately knowing more will expand the range of topics you can cover.
to be honest I really took it upon myself to start learning math because of your lesson 10 video dealing with y = mx + b. or y = slope + y intercept (if I'm not correct.. ), but not only that but I've been feeling quite inadequate lately. But I do understand your point, that programming stands more on a basis of logic and programmers serve much like interpreters.

simplicity

Post by simplicity » July 14th, 2012, 8:52 pm

Won't we need matrix multiplication and vector geometry to understand 3D stuff?

TheEliteMaker

Post by TheEliteMaker » July 14th, 2012, 9:14 pm

Hmmm, i feel my maths school days rumbling somewhere.

Matrix multiplication and vectors!!, better dig out those A Level books from the loft somewhere!!
;)

Next you'll be telling me to relearn 3D integration...again. **bites nails**

ocunder

Post by ocunder » July 16th, 2012, 4:00 am

TheEliteMaker wrote:Hmmm, i feel my maths school days rumbling somewhere.

Matrix multiplication and vectors!!, better dig out those A Level books from the loft somewhere!!
;)

Next you'll be telling me to relearn 3D integration...again. **bites nails**
oh.. you mean these vectors?

http://www.khanacademy.org/math/linear- ... /vectors/e

Asimov

Post by Asimov » July 16th, 2012, 4:22 pm

Hi ocunder,

I am terrible at maths. My eyes glaze over when it is mentioned LOL, and yet I got a Btec in electronics, where there was a lot of maths, but luckily I had my calculator LOL.

Asimov
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

TheEliteMaker

Post by TheEliteMaker » July 16th, 2012, 6:06 pm

Yep - thems the ones. :? God I feel old, so many years ago I was drawing arrows in exercise books.

Asimov

Post by Asimov » July 16th, 2012, 8:25 pm

Hi TheEliteMaker,

You know you're old when you remember fiddling with your 16k Ram pack and thinking it can't possibly get better than this.

Asimov
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk