Varying Screen sizes

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Asimov

Varying Screen sizes

Post by Asimov » June 22nd, 2012, 1:29 pm

Hi Chilli,

When you get to doing the game tutorials I would like to know the one thing that has been bugging me for a time.

I am making my game at 800*600 because I am thinking this might be a game you play for 5 minutes and you don't want a full screen game.

Now this is the thing. My graphics look great at this resolution because I have designed and rendered them for this resolutuion. Trouble is that if I do make it full screen it looks rubbish, because my graphics look pixelated because I didn't design for this. Also because I use a laptop if it just went full screen all the graphics are stretched to fit a different shaped screen.

So this is my question. If I was making a game which worked windowed and full screen. Do I need different sets of graphics which look good at different resolutions? How do I make it go full screen without suffering the stretching effect. Would I have to put in some kind of padding to stop this or something.

Basically what is the general practice for this. I know there are common screen sizes, but you have to deal with the uncommon mostly.

Asimov
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

chili
Site Admin

Re: Varying Screen sizes

Post by chili » June 23rd, 2012, 9:17 am

Just changing the window size will make the game look like rubbish. That's because the actual resolution used for rendering remains at 800 x 600 and then that is stretched / shrunk to the size of the window. If you want to handle window resizing properly, you have to reinitialize Direct3D on every resize event. Most games however just make the window non-resizable and then put the resizing options in the settings menu.
Chili