How much of what we're learning...

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
viruskiller

Re: How much of what we're learning...

Post by viruskiller » June 24th, 2012, 9:45 pm

the thing is ,if u just learn functions and stuff,when u get to code something stuff goes horribly wrong,and then u look at your code over and over and u just can't see the problem,the problem is that ther's some hidden stuff inside the "prebuilt" stuff u were using,and since u didn't learned about that yet u can't figure it out.
i've hit this problem with my second game made with c++ and directX by following chilli's tutorials,
my game ran fine on debug mode,but when on release mode it went totaly wrong,the shapes were going offscreen and it didnt update full block lines ...
so i've checked differences between debug and release mode in project settings,turned out to be a setting for inline function expansions,i've read a bit about inline functions and such,but didn't knew that the compiler does that automaticaly in release mode

so the moral is that if i knew the inner working of my IDE i'd knew how to design my game to run well with both debug and release mode.(although leaving it to IDE to decide when to inline functions is a very bad idea in my opinion so i just hope to learn how to tell the compiler when not to inline a function)