Series Direction Poll [Closed]

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.

What should I do for the next game project?

Start it immediately using the structured programming paradigms taught thus far.
9%
Postpone it and move directly to C++ object-oriented topics. The game project will be started later and it will use object-oriented paradigms. The framework will likely be taught sooner as well.
91%

Total votes: 33

chili
Site Admin

Series Direction Poll [Closed]

Post by chili » June 16th, 2012, 12:10 pm

If you've watched Lesson 22 to the end, you know what this is all about. If enough people want to postpone the capstone game project lesson, then I will hold off on it and move directly to teaching classes and object oriented C++ (and thus I will also explain the framework sooner as well).
Chili

magusofmirrors

Re: [Sticky] Series Direction Poll

Post by magusofmirrors » June 16th, 2012, 6:47 pm

I definitely think we should go for the game project that involves oop first. That was one of the main points of choosing C++ over C and so, therefore, we cannot promote "bad habits" by doing a C-styled project in C++. Why? Because it's lame to have C programmers think they know C++.
The admins are coming!!!

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » June 16th, 2012, 11:47 pm

Yeah, that was one of my misgivings about putting off OOP too long. Although it would be nice to tie together all the topics learned so far, it also seemed like a bit of a waste to spend hours working on a project in almost pure C when we could be practicing OOP methodologies.
Chili

magusofmirrors

Post by magusofmirrors » June 17th, 2012, 5:21 am

I think it was wise to teach people about C stuff first because I don't think you would have very many viewers left if you started talking about polymorphism et al. during the first lessons. It reminds me of when I took a C++ course at UCSC-Extension - C was required for C++ because they thought people would fuck up when they tried to learn. And I can tell you now it does, as it was surprising to have a middle aged man ask me for help with linked lists (13 at the time), but it all came quite nicely to me despite trouble on the assignments. I was never against the delay and I feel it contributed to the "Big Picture" and therefore, people will understand and appreciate C++ over C.
The admins are coming!!!

Asimov

Post by Asimov » June 17th, 2012, 10:42 am

Hi Chilli,

My vote goes to learning C++ OOP.

Learning the game stuff can come later, and I think learning better practices first is more important.

Asimov
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

ghilllie

Post by ghilllie » June 18th, 2012, 3:30 am

for me whatever you think it's best to go first bro... And one suggestion, please give some of your time a video of quick review of everything we have learned month by month or quarterly like an examination...
Chili++ for President :)

keramsege

Post by keramsege » June 20th, 2012, 9:27 am

first c++, later the game

viruskiller

Post by viruskiller » June 20th, 2012, 6:02 pm

well i'm good with either options as long as the second one involves different assignments to put into practice whatever we learn in that episode and more like a recap of whatever we learned before,you can;t really learn c++ first then start coding,i've watched some C++ tutorials for complete noobs on youtube till about video 40 or something,and completly forgot everything in short time,even from a episode to another,because i rarely exercised with what i've learned there..
so is good practice to keep us busy inbetween episodes:D

accucore12

Post by accucore12 » June 20th, 2012, 6:37 pm

In my opinion,it would be more interesting if you start on the game using c++ but break it down into several episodes with each episode introducing a new concept. The main plus point to your videos is that in each episode user can expect to learn to code a new aspect of the game eg after each episode the user can for instance load bitmap,animate sprite, load font so that the user would be motivated to watch each new episode since after every episode the user could be expected to add a new element to his game.
It seems that having a video purely for explaining c++ concepts would be meaningless since there are plenty of resources on c++ tutorial out there. The focus i believe would be to teach game programming
as implied by the title of the video (DirectX Game Programming Tutorial).

I would prefer a choice that is a improved hybrid of the two being a new game but with c++ concept.
Perhaps it could be something like lesson 1,the idea of our game project, the overall design of the classes that we will be using in our game plus some generic explanation and analogy of classes and ideas of inheritance.

Lesson 2: The interaction of the characters, like function receivedamage(),attack() and the attributes maybe like hp ,mana, armor etc encapsulated in the character object which explain the public, private,protected,

Lesson 3:idea of inheritance polymorphism which are demonstrated in different types of enemy having inherited from a basic base class,

Lesson 4:Actual in game mechanics and simple techniques of collision detection etc, movement, boundary, scrolling screen.

lesson5: refinement of the game and some optimisation.

ps:I wish there was a choice 3 since the description of the two does not tally

Code: Select all

[/color]

nG Inverse

Post by nG Inverse » June 21st, 2012, 12:23 am

I personally (and apparently only I, as there are only 7% for that vote) believe we should make a wrap-up game of everything taught thus far. We have learned a ton of language concepts over the spread of the lessons, and some I am, and probably others, are slightly fuzzy on. It would be nice to have a structured and thought-out game to tie it all back together.

After all, this is C++ GAME Programming Tutorials! It has been quite some time since we actually made something that can truly qualify as a "game".