A shoutout to Chilli.. and a lill warning to other new users

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Vindis

A shoutout to Chilli.. and a lill warning to other new users

Post by Vindis » June 15th, 2012, 12:32 pm

I'v been trying to learn C++ on and off for god knows how long and I always end up quitting sens all other tutorials are plain boring and all you do is writing console applications.
Even if it's a good way to step in the world of C++ (or any other programing language) it's not a good way to keep your students interested.
This is where you do things differently, you throw us in the good stuff right away and show everyone that you don't need to study 100+ hours before you put your very first pixel on the screen.

Thanks for your hard work Chilli, I really appreciate it and I'm so happy I randomly found your tutorials.

As for the warning to other users. In two days I'v been running through 12 lessons just watching, following, doing assignments and jumped to the next one ones I'm done.
This is bad, very bad. Thing is, I know I have done things I need to do again but I can't remember how, so I end up backtracking in the lessons just to relearn something I already should know.

So what I'm saying is, after each lesson don't just do the assignment Chilli's giving you. Try to make something on your own, combine the things you've learned in the last lesson with as many of the thing you've learned in previous lessons over and over and over again. You will thank yourself later.

Greetings from Sweden
/Vindis

Asimov

Re: A shoutout to Chilli.. and a lill warning to other new u

Post by Asimov » June 15th, 2012, 9:55 pm

Hej Vindis,

I feel your pain. I have been programming for years in different languages and I still forget everything I have ever learnt if I haven't done it for a while heh heh.

First time I have got my hands dirty with directx though, and I am finding some stuff difficult.

Asimov
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

chili
Site Admin

Re: A shoutout to Chilli.. and a lill warning to other new u

Post by chili » June 16th, 2012, 3:50 am

Vindis wrote: So what I'm saying is, after each lesson don't just do the assignment Chilli's giving you. Try to make something on your own, combine the things you've learned in the last lesson with as many of the thing you've learned in previous lessons over and over and over again. You will thank yourself later.
Word. 8-)
Chili