Wheres the DirectX tutorial?

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
tripdaripper

Wheres the DirectX tutorial?

Post by tripdaripper » June 12th, 2012, 12:19 am

i watched chili's first video on directX c++ programming and it didnt teach anything, it showed him being funny but he didnt actually teach anything...

magusofmirrors

Re: Wheres the DirectX tutorial?

Post by magusofmirrors » June 12th, 2012, 1:03 am

He tells you how to set it up. Watch on...
The admins are coming!!!

tripdaripper

Post by tripdaripper » June 12th, 2012, 3:12 am

actually, i just went back to lesson 1, and double checked... and haha, get this, he really didnt. so what do i do?

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » June 12th, 2012, 3:24 am

Lesson 1 is introduction, telling what shit you need to download and install, and testing out shit out to make sure it's all in working order. The programming starts in Lesson 2.
Chili

npissoawsome

Post by npissoawsome » June 12th, 2012, 6:01 pm

magusofmirrors wrote:He tells you how to set it up. Watch on...
If you want to move really fast, and learn real DirectX programming, than these aren't the right tutorials for you

Asimov

Post by Asimov » June 12th, 2012, 6:16 pm

Hi npissoawsome,

If you don't like the tutorials maybe you can find another forum where there are tutorials of your taste.

My opinion are that the tutorials are excellent.

Asimov
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

npissoawsome

Post by npissoawsome » June 12th, 2012, 6:34 pm

Asimov wrote:Hi npissoawsome,

If you don't like the tutorials maybe you can find another forum where there are tutorials of your taste.

My opinion are that the tutorials are excellent.

Asimov
I never said they were bad, I've learned a lot form them, and the framework is awesome.

But these tutorials are very slow paced, and a lot of it is teaching you how to do you own things. Take Tutorial 21 for example (the text rendering tutorial), it teaches you how to do everything yourself, while DirectX has built in code to render text using your Windows fonts.

Now, this isn't a bad thing at all, in fact, it has some good ups, like you learn more, and your problem solving skills become much better, but they take a while to learn, and if you need a quick method to do something, than these tutorials are a little excessive.

LuX

Post by LuX » June 12th, 2012, 6:56 pm

I think chili has mentioned multiple times he starts off with the basics of C before moving to more hardcore stuff and "efficiant" usage of the premade functions.

And your true, this stuff takes a lot of time, but for someone who want's to learn fast I would have told them that they have chosen the wrong occupation/hobby. Not to claim that it's impossible to learn fast, mind you.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Hydrasin

Post by Hydrasin » June 12th, 2012, 7:25 pm

I like the tutorials :3

magusofmirrors

Post by magusofmirrors » June 12th, 2012, 7:51 pm

LuX wrote:I think chili has mentioned multiple times he starts off with the basics of C before moving to more hardcore stuff and "efficiant" usage of the premade functions.
Wait... Why would chili teach c instead of c++ for game programming? Are we already doing embedded systems? God, I'm pretty behind. :oops:
The admins are coming!!!