Game demo

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
LuX

Game demo

Post by LuX » June 7th, 2012, 1:21 pm

Here's a demo of my new game I'm working on.
The demo has currently an intro, main menu, the game, pause menu...
In game there's nothing special yet, just showing my panning world that can be loaded from files, I put two preset maps on slot 1 and 2. The first one being just randomly placed tiles, but the map is really huge and the second one is a small island.

Use wasd to move around and esc to access the pause menu to exit or load another map.

There's also a fighting screen but it can't be access through the game, so to get there just change the Seq(0) to Seq(6).
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Hydrasin

Re: Game demo

Post by Hydrasin » June 7th, 2012, 4:11 pm

I like it! very interested to see where this goes. However when I tried the fight scene (Seq(6)) there didn't appear to be a way to exit like in the world roaming scenes. Also roaming was a little choppy. I don't know what to do about this, but the wise and powerful Chili might have something to say. I looked at your code and saw that the bars in game are HP, Mana and energy. Maybe label those or possibly have a label appear when moused over. Otherwise so far so good :D

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » June 8th, 2012, 6:22 am

I wanna check this out, but since my GeForce died I'm going to have to wait until I pick up a replacement. :(
Chili

LuX

Post by LuX » June 8th, 2012, 1:56 pm

Fixed the map panning to work smoother. Also made the buttons to react on click rather than on press, so they will only react once you lift the mouse and of course only if it's still on the button, so if your like "shit didn't want to press that" you can just drag your mouse out of the the button before releasing.

The character will walk on default, but you can press shift to run, note that it uses energy, which will slowly regenerate. There's also an option to auto walk. If you press C and any of the WASD and release, it will walk in that direction automatically. To brake this, simply tap C without pressing any of the WASD. You can still run without braking the auto walk.

One cool new feature: Map generating! It's still on the basic level, but now going to "new game" you can generate a 1000x1000 tile map (Each tile is 30x30 to the map is 30,000x30,000 pixels!). The basic map is a huge square island and then it spawn at random location some cliff to make the grass plane a bit more exciting. Special about the map generating, however, is that you an input a seed! Each time you use the same seed it will generate the same map. Use numbers to write the seed and backspace to erase one digit.

Also instead of the black borders, it will now fill the empty space with water.
Attachments
LuX Games 2.rar
(214.99 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » June 8th, 2012, 2:02 pm

I will check this out soon bro, just let me fix my damn compy!

I have a feeling that we can optimize your battle engine too so that it doesnt drop frames. Even though this is still working with a software engine (I estimate that this doesn't use any hardware features), it still should be able to do whaqt you are trying to do at full frame rate.

Aww man I wanna show you guys hofw to do sweet hardware accelleration shizzle. Let's get to that shit as soon as possible.
Chili

LuX

Post by LuX » June 8th, 2012, 2:08 pm

Battle engine? If you are talking about my older shooting game project, that would be cool. I kinda gave up on that one, it's a constant pain to code when you have to rewrite the whole damn thing each time I add something new as it becomes laggy as hell.

This game tho, no laggyness at all.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » June 8th, 2012, 2:11 pm

Oh, i thought someone said something aobut lagginess, so i assumed it was an extension of your old stuff.

Post your old one and let me see anyways. I will see if there is a faster way to do what you were doing. I was quite impressed with what I saw of your screeshots which showed visibility checking. Seemed quite sophisticsed. 8-)
Chili

LuX

Post by LuX » June 8th, 2012, 8:35 pm

Pushing memory to the limit >.<
Just generated a 9999x9999 map, takes up 300 000 000 bytes in a file being about 10 million tiles.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Tyas

Post by Tyas » June 9th, 2012, 12:38 pm

Wauw, good job man.
But I always confuse your name with the program language :P

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » June 9th, 2012, 1:29 pm

Lookin good LuX. What kind of game is this going to be when it's done? :)
Chili