Game Programming University

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
magusofmirrors

Game Programming University

Post by magusofmirrors » June 1st, 2012, 5:41 am

Hello everybody,

I am 14 years old and I want to be a game programmer when I grow up. I already know the C++ language and I am beginning to learn to use the Chili Framework to actually program game mechanics. Later I plan to make the framework myself and I can begin to make the demos that game companies seek in programmers. Seeing as I am set in that aspect, I can now worry about which university I want to attend when I graduate high school.

Please suggest colleges I should apply for (and reasons and sources).

Thank you,
Magus
The admins are coming!!!

chili
Site Admin

Re: Game Programming University

Post by chili » June 3rd, 2012, 12:02 am

Personally, I would suggest that you not pursue a degree which is oriented towards game development. If you are interested in programming, get your degree in computer/electrical engineering or computer science, and keep game programming as a hobby. An engineer or computer scientist can find work in game dev easily enough, but someone with a games degree will find it difficult if not impossible to break into a more "conventional" career path.
Chili

woulverene

Post by woulverene » February 6th, 2017, 9:44 am

Awesome Chilli

reductor

Post by reductor » February 8th, 2017, 9:33 pm

Game degrees are very hit and miss, it depends more on the person then the degree; Instead I'd suggest getting a software engineering degree this will provide more opportunities, and even within the games industry can look better on a resume.