Excited about discovery

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
cletus8u

Excited about discovery

Post by cletus8u » June 1st, 2012, 1:36 am

So I've mostly set c++ to the side to focus on c# because that's the language my local community college focuses on. While reading Head First C# I learned that functions can take functions as parameters, I wondered if this worked with c++ so this is what I came up with:

Code: Select all

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

class testies
{
public:
    int balls;
    int addThis(int number)
        {
            int result;
            cout<<"Class testies is adding the number and running the function"<<endl;
            result=number+20;
            cout<<result<<" This is the result of testies class adding 20 to parameters."<<endl;
            return result;
        }
};

void multiply (int num1)
    {
        int product;
        product = num1*20;
        cout<<"This is the product of the initial number added to testies function then multiplied "<<endl;
        cout<<product<<endl;
    }

int main()
{
    testies juevos;
    multiply(juevos.addThis(10));
    return 0;
}

While coming up with code on my own I realize I keep ending up creating classes with either testicles or boobs, I told my gf I need to force myself to write some with zombies or something. Anyways I was really excited that this worked because I figured that if a function could take a function as a parameter then it would only use the returned value and not actually run the code therein. This is the only place I could think of where I could share what I learned and I thought people might understand what it is I learned and give a crap. Hopefully somebody else can use this as well in their continued understanding of programming.

chili
Site Admin

Re: Excited about discovery

Post by chili » June 2nd, 2012, 11:56 pm

To be technically correct, you're not passing one function to another as a parameter. You're calling one function (addThis) and then passing it's result directly to another funciton (multiply).

You can pass one function to another in the form of a pointer-to-function, but that is a completely different matter.
Chili

cletus8u

Re: Excited about discovery

Post by cletus8u » June 3rd, 2012, 10:43 pm

Alright, thanks for the information.