Thank you Chili

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Nullbang

Thank you Chili

Post by Nullbang » May 28th, 2012, 10:45 am

Thank you Chili for making these tutorials. It isn't easy to find tutorials out there that are this comprehensive and explains that many details.

I just finished watching lesson 20. When I first started out watching these videos i thought that loading bitmaps was going to be one of the very first things that were to be taught, but I like it that you have taken the time to explain all the necessary details that come before something like loading a bitmap. I also thought that you were going to import a 3rd party bitmap loader to the project, but no you decided to do that on your own, and I like it.

My background is Java and a bit of C# and my experience with C++ is that it is rather difficult, especially Win32 which seems almost oldfashioned to me. Do you feel the same way? Java and C# were relatively easy to learn but I have come to realize that they wont work in the long run if you want to make games.

My goal is to eventually know how to write a game engine in C++ and you are making that goal come closer with each lesson.

Looking forward to the next lesson. Once again thank you.

/Nullbang

ghilllie

Re: Thank you Chili

Post by ghilllie » May 28th, 2012, 11:55 am

well-said Chili ++ tutorial dominates around youtube world.... Oh yeah!!!!!
Chili++ for President :)

chili
Site Admin

Re: Thank you Chili

Post by chili » May 28th, 2012, 12:34 pm

Hey bro, welcome aboard and thanks for the hearty approbation. ;)
Nullbang wrote:I also thought that you were going to import a 3rd party bitmap loader to the project, but no you decided to do that on your own, and I like it.
I'm glad to hear that. Of course the smart thing and the correct thing to do would be to use a library that is robust and ready-made for you. However, this is a learning experience so I decided that we'd do it the old fashioned way. :lol:

We'll probably end up using some Win32 call or some D3DX function later on, but it's nice to know that you can do it yourself from scratch if need be, and it was a good exercise.
Nullbang wrote:my experience with C++ is that it is rather difficult, especially Win32 which seems almost oldfashioned to me
Win32 is old fashioned because it was made to be called from plain old 'C'. It also has a lot of legacy stuff for backwards compatibility with old Windows 3.1. We havent actually started C++ yet, I'vce just been teaching plain old C. We will start the C++ specific stuff in 3 or so lessons from now. If you're already familiar with C# and Java then the OOP stuff should be relatively easy for you.
Chili