OpenGL vs DirectX

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
FeelGood

OpenGL vs DirectX

Post by FeelGood » May 22nd, 2012, 5:16 am

Hey Chili I really love your DirectX videos, I'm on lesson 9 and I've learned quite a bit now I studied your framework etc and from reading all the code I can see how everything works pretty much. Anyways besides that onto the main point of this thread.

I know directX is better on lower end CPUs/Graphics cards, but now days thats not so much an issue as even a 40 dollar gfx card can handle OpenGL. DirectX is kind of being phased out, it's going to be dead tech soon so the only reason I'm learning it is because it's available in your tutorials and you're great at explaining. I was wondering if and when you're going to do OpenGL videos?

LuX

Re: OpenGL vs DirectX

Post by LuX » May 22nd, 2012, 7:07 am

Has already been discussed here.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

FeelGood

Post by FeelGood » May 22nd, 2012, 7:21 am

LuX wrote:Has already been discussed here.
Thanks for directing me to that thread, props.

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » May 22nd, 2012, 3:07 pm

FeelGood wrote:DirectX is kind of being phased out, it's going to be dead tech soon so the only reason I'm learning it is because it's available in your tutorials and you're great at explaining. I was wondering if and when you're going to do OpenGL videos?
If fear you may have been mislead. :lol:

What has caused you to come to such a conclusion I wonder. Have any links bro? ;)
Chili

FeelGood

Post by FeelGood » May 24th, 2012, 1:04 am

chili wrote: If fear you may have been mislead. :lol:
What has caused you to come to such a conclusion I wonder. Have any links bro? ;)
I work in sales I build many systems weekly think about it even 775 socket celerons have PCI-E x16 slots and the cheapest PCI-E consumer Gfx cards on the market can support OpenGL on low settings right now at least. Not to mention weekly I'm selling a bunch of 1155 mb's which now have PCI-E x16 3.0 2.0 will soon be phased out and 3.0 will hit the market as the main thing everyone has. We even have full comps with win7 for $149-179 that have PCI-E x16 2.0 and come with gfx cards that can support Sc2 on low settings directX was for when everyone really used Onboard/AGP cards.

ghilllie

Post by ghilllie » May 24th, 2012, 7:48 am

I don't think directX will come to an end I've seen directX in every game with highest selling games in gaming world.
Chili++ for President :)

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » May 27th, 2012, 12:51 am

FeelGood wrote:I work in sales I build many systems weekly think about it even 775 socket celerons have PCI-E x16 slots and the cheapest PCI-E consumer Gfx cards on the market can support OpenGL on low settings right now at least. Not to mention weekly I'm selling a bunch of 1155 mb's which now have PCI-E x16 3.0 2.0 will soon be phased out and 3.0 will hit the market as the main thing everyone has. We even have full comps with win7 for $149-179 that have PCI-E x16 2.0 and come with gfx cards that can support Sc2 on low settings
FeelGood wrote:directX was for when everyone really used Onboard/AGP cards.
Can you say non sequitur? :lol:

The fact of the matter is that there is an extreme amount of inertia in the industry and the market, so we will not be seeing Direct3D (or its successors) leave us anytime soon. Think about it: Microsoft has a near-monopoly on the PC gaming market, and the dominance of Direct3D only helps to cement this monopoly and makes it that much more difficult for competing platforms to gain a foothold (Mac, Linux, etc.). Don't you think they'd pull every dirty trick they know in order to maintain the status quo?

Besides all that, Direct3D really is the superior API. OpenGL is going to have to do a lot first to just catch up. Don't get me wrong; I believe that it would be a good thing if Direct3D were replaced by an open and free standard (although technically OpenGL isn't really free because of patent issues). I believe the day will come when both Windows and Direct3D go the way of the dinosaurs, but that day is far from imminent.
Chili

FoxDonut

Post by FoxDonut » June 13th, 2012, 7:05 am

First i was all like Shiiiiiii, and now the Chili has calmed me. It sucks learning something if you think it wont be worth learning. After researching what games use DirectX, and considering the fact that hundreds of games use directX.... It is worth learning. Whatever comes next, (INDIRECTx maybe) will most likely support DirectX anyways. It would be too much of a loss. Also, if anything at all, it will be in phases so that industries will not have to slow down their creative process. Nothing to fear at all.

Am i right or am i right?

Chili, quit reading this and make more vids :D lol

magusofmirrors

Post by magusofmirrors » June 13th, 2012, 6:56 pm

It doesn't matter if Directx blows up in a few years. By then, you will understand plenty about game programming and therefore, learning a new graphics API will be a piece of cake. Directx is merely a tool for us to learn game programming. It is NOT the main event. Remember this and don't worry about anything else- you are here to do game programming, not fuck around with API's all day.
The admins are coming!!!

BobCrunch

Post by BobCrunch » June 19th, 2012, 1:06 pm

Question 1: My understanding is that DirectX is only available for Windows and applications are not easily ported to non-Windows platforms like Linux. Is this true?

Question 2: Does Microsoft support a version (SDK) of OpenGL that will work with VS 2010 Express? If not, is there an open source OpenGL version (SDK) compatible with VS 2010 Express?