New here at the forum

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Asimov

New here at the forum

Post by Asimov » May 19th, 2012, 11:51 pm

Hi Chill,

Hello there.
I am new here and I have a few questions, but before that I will give you my background.

I started programming on a zx81, and then a ZX spectrum and programmed in z80 machine code. I progressed to programming in basic on the Amiga, and then to Amiga C. I made a few small applications in C and Amospro.

I then moved on to the PC. I wrote my first program in vb6. I quickly moved onto C# and C++. However everything I made was application based and not game based. I then wrote my first game based program using C++, codeblocks and SDL. I wrote a game called Thomthello based on Othello.
I then almost finished a Checkers kind of game in XNA using C# called Dalek Draughts. I never completed this one because I had to do some 3D work for a director and never got to completing the project. After that I tried Unity and made a small demo on my website with minimal coding needed.

Recently I started to learn C++ API programming because I would like to make small applications which don't need the huge .net installed. Also I want to get back to the basics, and try directx programming direct without using such engine as Unity, SDK or Cry engine.

I have visual c++ 2010 and I managed to compile a few simple programs I wrote, but these programs would not work on xp as well as windows7. I took the same program into Codeblocks with the mingw compiler and compiled my program and it works on xp no problem. So after this I liked Codeblocks better than visual c++.

Ok onto the questions.

Will your framework work ok with codeblocks and mingw compiler?
I know I will have to manually load in the cpp and header files.

Will the SDK work for Codeblocks as well as visual C++?

I got to this site by finding your video on youtube, but after coming to the site I am having trouble finding the tutorials. Where are they exactly?

Ok that is all. It is getting late and I have downloaded the Chili framework and will be having a play with it tomorrow.

I might actually try out the tutorials using visual c++ and then try codeblocks later.

Thanks for reading.

Asimov
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

chili
Site Admin

Re: New here at the forum

Post by chili » May 20th, 2012, 2:22 am

Hey bro, welcome aboard. Love your Foundation series, keep up the good work. :lol:
Will your framework work ok with codeblocks and mingw compiler?
I know I will have to manually load in the cpp and header files.
You might have to change some #pragma once statements into #ifndef guards
You will also have manually set up the build settings (libraries and such).
Will the SDK work for Codeblocks as well as visual C++?
It should.
I got to this site by finding your video on youtube, but after coming to the site I am having trouble finding the tutorials. Where are they exactly?
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... ature=plcp

Just use the playlist.

You seem pretty experienced in coding. This series starts off assuming no knowledge of programming whatsoever, so the first series of videos will likely be quite trivial for you.
Chili

Asimov

Post by Asimov » May 20th, 2012, 8:49 am

Hi Chilli,

That's ok. It has been a while since I did any decent programming, so I might watch them all anyway to refresh my memory. I have been concentrating more on 3D modelling the last couple of years and let my programming slip.

The pixel command reminds me of the old poke command on the Spectrum. I still remember the old screen address Poke 16384,255 heh heh.

No doubt I will be back to ask questions soon. Just got to finish this model I am working on, as I have just been given a deadline.

Thank you for replying.

Asimov
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

cyperfr3ak

Post by cyperfr3ak » October 18th, 2012, 10:07 am

I also use codeblocks but in intermediate lesson 1 I get this error:

Sound.cpp|103|error C3861: 'fopen_s': identifier not found, even with argument-dependent lookup|

Do you know how to fix this ??
Sorry for my bad English !
I'm from Germany

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » October 18th, 2012, 11:44 am

Uhhh, I guess just replace fopen_s with fopen.
Chili

cyperfr3ak

Post by cyperfr3ak » October 18th, 2012, 12:27 pm

Thanks for your fast reply
You are the best teacher i've ever had

I solved the problem.
I only changed my compiler from microsoft visual c++ 2003 toolkit (where fopen_s doesn't exist because it was added 2005 )
to microsoft visual c++ 2005/2008
and it worked fine

PS: Sorry for my bad english I'm from Germany

PPS: Don't stop making this cool video tutorials
Sorry for my bad English !
I'm from Germany