Assault Tactics [Beta]

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
chili
Site Admin

Re: Assault Tactics [Beta]

Post by chili » May 11th, 2012, 12:21 pm

Hmmm, the launcher seems to crash as soon is it is run for me. The game itself works though. Lookin good so far LuX!
Chili

LuX

Post by LuX » May 11th, 2012, 1:29 pm

Strange... Did you leave all the stuff inside the same folder?
The HUD tries to find the files from its location, so all that's inside the folder has to be in the same place.

If you get the error that gives you the options to "continue" or "quit" just hit continue, thought that means it couldn't find "LuXGame.exe".
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Sleet

Post by Sleet » May 11th, 2012, 4:42 pm

Well mine ran just fine got it going without much problem. (Also glad that you like the extra keys ^^)
hmm lets see some tweak idea time :D
  • 1: The recoil "gauge" doesn't decrease while reloading. You might tweak it to reduce even if half the speed as normal that way it doesn't accumulate over time so badly.
    2: If a player hits reload no matter what a clip is deducted. Seems a bit excessive considering my accident if a player is hitting it while moving there goes a wasted clip.

A possible better way to handle this is to have a total amount of bullets. This could be done by having a "current clip count" and then having the amount of clips left done by (total_ammo - current_clip) / clip_size + 0.5f (so it rounds up or down) and displaying that as your clips then all the extra stuff that would be needed in reloading is to check if the current_clip < clip_size and if so then do some math to make the current_clip the size it needs to be. The rest should still be fine it just wouldn't need to constantly take away a players clips and make them lose precious ammo.

3: Reloading has a bit of a bug when the guns are completely empty and it seems to have trouble switching to a new one. Might just add a check to see if comes to this and stop it from trying to loop and cause it not to catch weapon changing keys.

4.Pistols seem way to random compared to the higher weapons to even make them useful. The randomness between shots make the pistols out to be kind of crap when trying to shoot any of the enemies.

From what I was seeing its like the pistol was shooting and a random angle at the new range instead of the initial range between the red and blue line.

5. Might add a restart button to refill ammo and restart enemies if needed and refill their hp.

6. Little adjustment to the hud since its off a bit and its hard to see all the details on it when trying to play.

LuX

Post by LuX » May 11th, 2012, 5:28 pm

Interesting points there Sleet, and thank you for the reply.

Some of the bugs you stated were meant to be fixed but that means, that I'll have to redesign half of the shooting script. And that will take a lot of time.

I think I'll next try to make the enemies move around, just to see how good I'm with simple AI.
I originally planned to make the enemies advance toward the player, but that seems a bit boring, as in my tests you can easily shoot them down.

I'm working on a script that will make the enemies "randomly" dodge, or move sideways and at a specific angle attack the player and sometimes flee after one attack. That wouldn't become too hard to do, but what I really want is to have some actual AI that will make the enemies dodge bullets and try to walk behind your sight, but that all will, if ever, come a lot later.

I want to see if the game runs as I had planned and see if it's worth continuing on this project.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

LuX

Post by LuX » May 12th, 2012, 2:08 pm

I'm back!

This time a lot of changes, ladies and gentlemen. :lol:

Weapons:
- fixed reload bugs
- Added a reload bar, that appears when you reload: shows reloading time

Player:
- Removed the "filled cone" and replaced with ground tiles

Enemies:
- Leave blood splats once hit, blood only visible in sight
- Better hearing and seeing: if an enemy is close behind you, you can see a ring
- Lame attempts at AI:
-- Enemies move around randomly, but still mainly towards the player
-- If you aim at an enemy, they will go crazy and run in circles or waves or run towards you!

More buttons:
P: Spawn enemies; spawns 6 enemies randomly on a circle
N: Heal player
M: Refill ammo
G: God mode: tons of HP and ammo (nearly limitless)

Still to do:
- Fix weapon "2"
- Add more waves
- Add loot from dead enemies
- And a bunch of stuff

"Install":
- extract "LuXGame2" somewhere, but leave all files inside untouched!
- Run "LuX Launcher.exe"
- Play!

troubleshooting:
- If the HUD closes as soon as you open it, open HUDINFO.hud via notepad, and change "close:1" to "close:0"
- If you get an error when running the launcher, something like: "Unhandled exception has occured..." It most likely means you didn't leave all the stuff inside the same folder (or possibly, if your computer runs on a special language the file searching system may get screwd)
- If you get an error that says something like "Missing *.ddl" or something like that, you'll have to install whatever is missing, or get Visual basic 2010

-------------------------------

BTW: I tried to add some music to the game but as soon as I debug, I get an error here:

Code: Select all

assert( (waveFileHeader.dataChunkId[0] == 'd') && 
			(waveFileHeader.dataChunkId[1] == 'a') &&
			(waveFileHeader.dataChunkId[2] == 't') &&
			(waveFileHeader.dataChunkId[3] == 'a') );
Now, I'm not an expert with sounds but could the file be to big?
its about 50 Mb. All the other stuff should be correct: speed: 1411 kbps, Type: *.wav
I tried it with another sound from someone else's project and works fine.
Attachments
AI.png
(89.63 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

LuX

Post by LuX » May 13th, 2012, 12:40 am

Alright, couldn't hold myself from coding, so I added some stuff to the game: Loot!

Once an enemy gets killed it will spawn random loot.

Also a change to buttons: P will now spawn the next wave, starting from 1 it will add one each new wave.

Some items I might still add: Boots: more speed and Strength: less / slower recoil

The HUD is still the old one, so to keep track on special items you might pick up use MyLittleDebugger

Anyways, it's getting late :o 3:30

Some fixes here and there, and this game is ready to be packed and shipped to be the next game of the year, then I'll post the whole project file... Tried to add music as well, but I haven't found a solution to this problem yet.

Have fun playing, it's actually pretty entertaining to play :)
Attachments
LuXGame3.rar
(114.97 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
Items.png
Items.png (7.73 KiB) Viewed 4193 times
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » May 13th, 2012, 8:19 am

Pretty neat stuff LuX! The blood spatters are a nice touch. ;)

HuD is still not working for me, but the main .exe works fine. I'll take a screen shot and show you what is happening later on if it will help. Keep up the good work!
Chili

uglypie

Post by uglypie » May 13th, 2012, 8:22 am

The launcher doesn't open for me. I tried the fix, but it didn't change anything.

About the wav file: 50 000 * 8 kb (kilo bits ) / 1411 kbps (kilo bits per second) = 283 seconds = 4.7 minutes
So it's a reasonable file size if your music piece is that long.

LuX

Post by LuX » May 13th, 2012, 10:05 am

Weird problem. Well, after I know how to output text on the framework directly, I'll add the HUD in the game itself. Ofcourse I could just take an image of the alphabets and make some sort of an algorithm to "write" text, but that would be a bit complicated.

Anyways, here's the HUD project file, incase you want to have a look at it... it's in VB, tho, don't hate me!

Oh, and here is the music, I made it a bit shorter, but still doesn't work... Maybe someone can get it working?
Last edited by LuX on May 17th, 2012, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

LuX

Post by LuX » May 13th, 2012, 3:16 pm

Some fixes that make the game a lot better:

Sight:
- Better tiles (single ones)
- Slightly better sight check

Collision:
- Collison fix on picking up stuff

Enemies:
- Fixed aim hostility + turn blushed purple when agressive

Recoil: Complete makeover:
- Fixed all recoil problems, I think.....
-- "1" More accurate, recoils a bit more if spammed, recovers slower
-- "2" Fixed! More accurate, good for aimed shots, bad if spammed
-- "3" Recoils less, recover faster, single shot not OP anymore vs full auto
-- "4" Recover faster
-- "5" More accurate, recoils less, recovers faster

- Weapon Swap:
-- If recoil is less than its initial aim, sets it to initial aim

Anyways.....
Next up:
-New enemies:
--Ones that shoot you!
--Kamikaze enemies that run towards you and done 'splode!

-Weapon:
--Rocket launcher

-Walls:
--Trying to make walls, problem is, I have to rework the sight check method and give enemies some sort of an path finding system

This all will take a lot of time, and I know some of you most likely probably surely certainly want to see my code, so here it is!
It's still a bit messy, but what ever...

Things you might want to look at:
-D3DGraphics:
--A lot of new "objects"

-Game:
--CheckSight subject at bottom
--Bullet drawing
--Shooting script
--etc...
Attachments
LuXShooterBeta.rar
(Whole project, not only debug!)
(64.04 KiB) Downloaded 211 times