Assault Tactics [Beta]

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
LuX

Assault Tactics [Beta]

Post by LuX » May 8th, 2012, 8:00 am

Here is my early game demo of Assault Tactics.

I was already talking about it on another post, but this game is soon done, so I though I'd make a new post just for it :)

Here, you can try out the demo, its just shooting the enemy, which doesn't do anything yet...
Ill post the source after i'm done, it has still some bugs in it.

Controls: WASD; move, Space; shoot (smack that button for recoil), Arrows left 'n' right; look around, Arrow up; Change weapon. I recommend using the weapon "3" as it has the coolest recoil and aim.
Attachments
ShootTest 7.png
(110.35 KiB) Downloaded 404 times
Last edited by LuX on May 13th, 2012, 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

uglypie

Re: Assault Tactics [Beta]

Post by uglypie » May 8th, 2012, 8:10 am

Thats was cool :D The recoil system worked really well.

The moving around keys were opposite of what I expected though. For me it would be more natural if right was clockwise, and left was counter clockwise.

It would be cool if you made it so that holding down the shooting key made the spray bigger and bigger, like a machine gun.

Looking forward to testing the finished game :)

Sleet

Post by Sleet » May 8th, 2012, 8:26 am

Sweet man it seems to work well. The recoil is cool though some seem a bit weird on a few of them. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » May 8th, 2012, 1:15 pm

I like the bullets. :)
Chili

LuX

Post by LuX » May 8th, 2012, 1:57 pm

The recoil is cool though some seem a bit weird on a few of them
Yeah, I haven't fully though about them yet, but their supposed to be; 1: Some light pistol, glock maybe. 2: Something like desert eagle, its recoil system is a bit broken, thought. 3: Assault rifle. 4: Minigun. I'll try to add a shotgun that shoots multiple bullets at many directions.
It would be cool if you made it so that holding down the shooting key made the spray bigger and bigger, like a machine gun.
I tried, but I'm not too familiar with the timers yet, so I'll have to think about some way around it, not too hard to do.

I'll also try to add ammo clips, so you can run out of em, and make dead enemies spawn random ammo.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

LuX

Post by LuX » May 8th, 2012, 8:10 pm

New update; getting close :)

New stuff:
- Revised weapons;
-- Weapons do different amounts of damage.
-- Shooting timers: Can't "smack that button" too hard anymore ;)
-- Full auto on "3" and "4":
--- "3" has a single shot and full auto, if you tap space once it will only fire one bullet. Thought you won't notice this in-game,
but if there wasn't this, you would almost always shoot 2 or 3 bullets on a single tap.
--- "4" like any minigun, with this one you'll have to hold space down for a while before it starts spraying bullets like a shower.
-- Added a shotgun as "5": Shoots 20 bullets in a cone, single bullets do little damage, but if all hit, it's an instakill right there. The shotgun has a 2 second timer due to bugs on it, if it was any shorter.

- Enemies:
-- Successfully transferred the enemy script on arrays; now I can spawn infinite enemies!
-- Added some more on screen, now you can really see how the sight feels like when you can't see behind you (Yeah there's a bug still in there, but still...)

Stuff to do:
- Fix sight bug on enemies at same height
- Make weapon aim cone a bit smaller (maybe?)
- Make enemies move towards the player and damage if too close
- Fix all other minor bugs
Attachments
ShootTest9.png
(108.65 KiB) Downloaded 382 times
ShootTest8.png
(112.45 KiB) Downloaded 382 times
Last edited by LuX on May 11th, 2012, 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Sleet

Post by Sleet » May 9th, 2012, 5:42 am

Hmm your shotgun seems to fire quite a bit on the red line instead of in the general shooting range. Also instead of like 10/20 bullets seems better to have it like 5 so it doesn't shoot like a solid wall for the shotgun. Also you could do a random angle for the bullets on the shotgun between the red and blue aim line for a some what realistic shotgun.

lol... sounds obsessed with the shotgun xD anyways overall can't wait to try this out when its finished :D

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » May 9th, 2012, 11:29 am

Instead of a random angle inside the red and blue for each pellet of the shotgun, the center of the shotgun blast should be within the red and blue and then there should be a random scatter offset angle generated for each pellet. After all, the actual spray radius of a shotgun doesn't change just because you aim for longer. It is based on the ammunition used and the construction of the firearm.
Chili

LuX

Post by LuX » May 9th, 2012, 12:06 pm

Actually there is a random angle with the shotgun!
It's not too noticable, but what I did is that the center bullet will make a random angle, and all other just go on both sides a few degrees.

To test this out, first use "4" and wait till it is at maximum recoil, quickly switch to 5 and shoot.
I forgot to add the recoil decrease on "5" so it will stay at that recoil it gets entered in.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

LuX

Post by LuX » May 10th, 2012, 9:03 pm

Alright! I've been a bit lazy, so no "big" updates on the game itself, but I made this cool hud.

1st: Changed and fixed some bugs related to the shotgun:
-- Now shoots 7 pellets
-- Recoil
-- A lot of small fixes, though it still has some

-All weapons do more damage
-Bullets have different sizes
-Added bullets and clips

Reloading:
Once your weapon has 0 bullets it will automatically reload, you can press R to reload at any time, but you will lose all bullets in that clip. While you reload, you can't change weapons.

More buttons; thanks to Sleet!
-1 to 5 will change weapons
-esc will quit
-and I think I forgot to tell, but shift has always worked as a slowdown

-------------------------------------

Now to the fun business:
HUD!
The download will come in a neat folder that has the debug and two infofiles but you only need: "LuX Launcher". Double click it and it will open all the stuff for you. It will display weapon images, bullets, clips and tell if you are reloading.

To close press ESC! it will reset the HUDINFO file. If you use the close button on the hud (which I added incase something gets screwd) it will close itself automatically next time you open it.
To fix this either open the HUDINFO and change "Close:1" to "Close:0" or just delete it, though then you have to run the debug separately and close it, before you can use it again... Uhuhu, so many instructions.

If you lose focus on the game (framework) use Alt + Tab to get its focus back.

Don't forget to tell me what you think about it!

EDIT: It seems to sometimes lag when you try to exit by pressing esc. It shouldn't, however affect the program on the next loading time. Just use the C button on the HUD to close it.
Attachments
LuXGamePack.rar
(106.97 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
Test1.png
NOTE: The images used in this HUD are not mine! Credits go to someone else!
(106.97 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ