allegro, openGL, or D3D

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
FoxDonut

allegro, openGL, or D3D

Post by FoxDonut » May 7th, 2012, 9:27 am

I wanted to ask Chili his opinion on which to use but for all those reading i am open to your opinions as well. It is obvious that D3D is used in the tuts, but why? I wanted to get a book on one of them. I am planning on starting off in creating a 2D side scrolling game. Depending on how long you run without hitting an object, the screen will pick up speed and eventually blur when you get to top speed. I would like to use something powerful, but i want to be able to eventually use it for 3D games as well. Its hard to dip into and use all of them fluently i'm sure...

Recap:
Why use D3D in tuts, and what is best for my future 2d/3d game programming. Any good books out there (name of book please) to help me get started?

ghilllie

Re: allegro, openGL, or D3D

Post by ghilllie » May 7th, 2012, 9:41 am

Direct X is being used for all awesome 3d game programs... I think this is a very powerful graphics framework. I've seen this being used in all Call of duty game versions.
Chili++ for President :)

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » May 7th, 2012, 1:31 pm

D3D will give you the best performance. OpenGL drivers generally do not perform as well except with professional-grade cards such as FireGL (often the only difference between pro cards and game cards is the driver). Allegro doesn't have much hardware acceleration support in windows, but it may be easier to work with (never looked at it myself, but that is my impression). For the game that you describe, you could probably get away with any of the platforms you listed, but if you plan to target Windows exclusively, then I recommend DirectX as it will give you the best performance.

Allegro and OpenGL have an advantage wherein games developed with them will be easier to port across systems.
Chili

EdadTace

Post by EdadTace » May 7th, 2012, 4:07 pm

been working with allegro a bit to get a better understanding of game programming, and I've found it easy to work with and get an understanding of

FoxDonut

Post by FoxDonut » May 7th, 2012, 9:43 pm

Thanks everyone, i would like performance so i'm going to go with D3D even though it may not be the most simple.

Chili, would u want to do a short tut on D3D since your using it and are experienced? Maybe talk about working with 2D for me :D

Im proud to say i'm going to be a regular member here and that i have been re-inspired by everyone in our growing community.