cookiez' progress blog!

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
cookiez

cookiez' progress blog!

Post by cookiez » May 4th, 2012, 11:41 pm

Hi there peepz!

So I've chewed myself through the first 5 lessons! Even though it was a lot of repetition for me I still enjoyed them. Working with pixels is so much FUN! :D Anyways..
I made a programm in which pretty much everything that I learned from the lessons is covered.

I made a crosshair which can be accelerated if direction-keys are pressed. The spacebar kind of fades the color of the crosshair from red to white, and if its released, it turns back to red.
If you'd like to you can download my source-code and have a wuick look at it so you can give me tips on what could be written more nicely / clean. I'd appreciate it!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

P.S. : I hope I posted the file correctly / according to the instructions...
Attachments
lesson_progress.rar
(133.53 KiB) Downloaded 174 times

chili
Site Admin

Re: cookiez' progress blog!

Post by chili » May 5th, 2012, 4:20 am

Nice work bro, good to see people going beyond just the bare minimum the lessons cover. You coding style is good. There is a little inconsistency with your indenting, but nothing major and your code is very readable overall.

Some things to be careful of:
- Cursor goes off the screen, so you need to fix your clipping logic.
- When I opened your project, I noticed you were in Release configuration, but you probably should be working in Debug configuration because it gives you more feedback.
- You are using the newest version of the framework. You can use this version for making your own demos and game to practice programming, but when you're following the tutorials you should use the original version. (Part of the later tutorials is building some of the code that makes up the newer version of the framework.)

All in all, very good work cookiez. ;)
Chili

cookiez

Re: cookiez' progress blog!

Post by cookiez » May 5th, 2012, 9:57 am

Thanks for the feedback.
I now fixed my clipping logic and even added collision!! (So the cursor bounces back from the edges with the same speed that it hit them). "OH THE POWER IS SOOOO INTOXICATING!" :)

And from now on I'm gonna work in debug mode. Pretty useful since it seems that you built exception handeling (or however the heck it's called) into your framework. Didn't even know that such things are possible. Makes me even more excited!
This updated lesson_progress_v5.rar still uses the newer framwork, but I'm gonna use the older one for your lessons from now on, as you told me. (The v5 indicates that this was made with knowledge including lesson 5 and below)

Peace :)
Attachments
lesson_progress_v5.rar
(133.93 KiB) Downloaded 191 times