[Help]Windows XP Chilli Issue

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
ghilllie

[Help]Windows XP Chilli Issue

Post by ghilllie » May 2nd, 2012, 4:16 am

Hi Chili,

I am a fan of your video tutorial and am currently in video 7 which is so far so good since I have a bit of background in coding although not in c++. however things always go wrong when I use windows XP in the office to try to build your fresh copy of framework.

below is the screenshot of where the unhandled exception pops out every time I build your framework.
Chili++ for President :)

ghilllie

Re: [Help]Windows XP Chilli Issue

Post by ghilllie » May 2nd, 2012, 4:20 am

In my Windows 7 in home things are fine just this XP sucks and I don't know why? Can you pinpoint what the problem is?

if i comment that "theGame.Go()" The framework actually opens but instead of black screen on it - it takes whatever behind it as its screen instead of black.

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » May 3rd, 2012, 5:33 am

It seems as thought the device object is created properly but the backbuffer object fails to be created... We can try to locate the exact problem, but it will require some testing. If you are interested, I will post a modified solution for you to run on the XP machine and we can then analyze the results and go from there.
Chili

ghilllie

Post by ghilllie » May 3rd, 2012, 10:32 am

chili wrote:It seems as thought the device object is created properly but the backbuffer object fails to be created... We can try to locate the exact problem, but it will require some testing. If you are interested, I will post a modified solution for you to run on the XP machine and we can then analyze the results and go from there.
Yep Please! If you have some vacant time that would be my pleasure... I hate to not able to try your tut when i'm in office...

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » May 4th, 2012, 8:33 am

Step one: download this .exe, run it on the XP computer, and tell me what kind of error message it gives you (be detailed).
Attachments
Debug Test.zip
(24.5 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
Chili

ghilllie

Post by ghilllie » May 5th, 2012, 4:01 am

Ok SuperChili man!

here is what I get from your debugger when I ran it.

and when I ignore it I get this:

please I need it to work in Xp Service pack 3.
couldn't it be that one possibility of this framework for not being able to run is that because i do not have a video card in this poor company computer of mine?

I am really be very much grateful if this will work for this version of windows chili.
I really is starting to feel so chili hot to learn more in c++; I want to become more than what the tutorial can offer but I can't do that since I can only research and try things when I'm home...

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » May 5th, 2012, 4:43 am

Haha, what work do you do that let's you fart around in C++ on the job? :lol:

Anyways, I have good news: I think I know how to fix your problem. You're partially correct, the problem is almost certaintly the video card. It's not that there isn't one, just the the video card in your office computer is pretty shite. ;)

I will whip up a modied program and get you to run it again. If that works, I can give you a modified version of the framework source code that will run on your office machine.
Chili

ghilllie

Post by ghilllie » May 5th, 2012, 8:45 am

I am working in Architectural finishes bro! am a Cad Operator... but I am actually a programming fan. and a gamer as well. My goal is to make a 3d game since I can model in 3d. I want to defeat activision games like MW3 (jokes). and my starting point are your tutorials.

speaking about 3d - are you man going to make a tutorial for 3d game in the future?
because I will be following your tutorials to the end since i like the way you do it plus illustrations are the best things that you are doing in your tutorial which what makes my ass laughing while learning lol!

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » May 6th, 2012, 4:23 pm

Try this one out on the XP machine and tell me the result. This one might run for you.
Chili DirectX Framework(ghilllie build).zip
(46.46 KiB) Downloaded 353 times
p.s.: Yup, I will eventually be covering 3D.
Chili

ghilllie

Post by ghilllie » May 6th, 2012, 8:56 pm

Thanks for spending your time to make me feel happy bro... by the way I'm gonna probe you my effort on trying to learn from your tutorial - first let me thanks a lot for everything you did for making c++ tutorials and now to make this framework to work in my company machine....

Alright! Enough Drama bro!

Here's my program i'd been spending some time to code... This is kinda lesson where you discuss about making square yet, nothing that much far for my side by this time... but please let be your tutorial have some progress to someone like me...

This is my first program ever:
here's the attachment - I call this "ChiliCrosshair"
ChiliCrossHair download
Features:
1. Scalable pick box: Spacebar to scale down, Enter to scale up.
2. Screen Border
3. Auto pick box positioning when scaling while the box touches the screen border.
4. Auto cross hair positioning when scaling while the box touches the screen border.
5. And of course Collision to avoid crashes. Arrows to navigate...

This is pretty much like AutoCad's crosshair that is set to 100% crosshair size.
Hope you would be happy with my progress bro..... :-)
Last edited by ghilllie on May 7th, 2012, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.