framework keeps crashing (running windows 7 home)

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
chevronfoxp2

framework keeps crashing (running windows 7 home)

Post by chevronfoxp2 » April 27th, 2012, 6:44 am

hi chilli, just a quick one...

i've only the last 2 days been following your videos and im up to video 9; anyway i've discovered a very irritating and cosequently almost given up folloginw the videos - the framework i use keeps crashing (even though i've checked the code exhaustively) which then leads me to delete the chilli folder and reinstall from the zip...and so its been going on now since like video 9, (but strangely I didnt notice it crashing very much in the earlier vids) and getting the doldrums. On my knees begging here if there's a troubleshoot.

The big issue here is once it crashes its like the rest of the building and debugging get corrupted so even though the code is correct to the letter, the problem still remains and I cant continue.

Btw your videos are :) well made and :lol: enjoyable to watch,

cheers mate

Dlotan

Re: framework keeps crashing (running windows 7 home)

Post by Dlotan » April 27th, 2012, 7:00 am

plx upload ur code in order to get help

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » April 27th, 2012, 7:35 am

Dlotan wrote:plx upload ur code in order to get help
What he said. ;)
Chili

chevronfoxp2

Post by chevronfoxp2 » April 28th, 2012, 11:53 am

I've attached a zip of the last project i was working on which was the drawline along a x1, x2 axis i think number 10 vid. I just have to ask if I dowloaded and saved it all wrong and had visual and sdk in the same folder as the chili folder. Did i go wrong like that or is the framework incompatible with my windows7 or something else? All in all i have to add a few projects did work up to and including what i thought was the succesful poo and face game only that the face would not eat the poo : (. Ive since deleted that code because i thought the entire framework was somehow corrupted after the crash so i had to get again from the zip and start up a new chiliframework.
Attachments
Chili DirectX Framework1.zip
im not sure i've kept everything, but this is the most recent code i've been using which makes the framework crash
(161.53 KiB) Downloaded 199 times

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » April 28th, 2012, 12:02 pm

In DrawLine() you have:

Code: Select all

int dx = x2 - x2;
I would take a very close, very hard look at this line and reconsider it. :lol:

Edit: LuX, I deleted your post bro because if he just copies and pastes the finished product it won't be a very good lesson. :P If he follows the tutorial he will get a working program like everyone else has.
Chili

LuX

Post by LuX » April 28th, 2012, 12:07 pm

Oh right, didn't see he was at "that" lesson...
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

chevronfoxp2

Post by chevronfoxp2 » April 30th, 2012, 3:03 am

now that you've highlighted that part of the code i see what you mean....lol i should follow earlier in the morning when im more alert, wow that's soo glaringly obvious...i've gone back to watch your debugger video so i wont be making that mistake again

thanks....i think i need a pie in the face; but now i can confidently go back and debug for those errors

chevronfoxp2

Post by chevronfoxp2 » April 30th, 2012, 3:48 am

I just ran the code and its working like clockwork, i've eben managed to do several lines working down and consecutively the line getting smaller at point x2(400) and i copy and pasted again and double lined them...and it all worked! thanks again for that glaring x2 which was meant to be an x1 int doh!

chanks chili and lux

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » May 1st, 2012, 2:54 pm

Yup, no problem chevron. I think everyone has those moments when they're first starting out where no matter how they look at things they can't find the bug and they start blaming the compiler, the codebase, the API, etc.

As you get older and wiser, you'll realise that 99.9% of the time something goes wrong, it's because you've managed to fuck it up somehow. Eventually you'll gain the code reading fluency, the sharpness of eye, the intuition, and the humility needed to crush the most insidious of bugs. ;)
Chili