pure math recommendations

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
eyad

pure math recommendations

Post by eyad » November 23rd, 2017, 2:10 pm

hello there everyone,
now i'am considering studying only math, just to keep up with the 3D programming series and be generally better with programming..

so i would like to get some help, mainly recommendations about -best-resources i should use to learn these subjects.

i hope that i can learn all those topics through videos, but in case of there's no videos that covers all the topics in ordered, coherent fashion. then getting a hybrid from books and videos would work too.

i did my research and found those books
  • Foundations of Game Engine Development, Volume 1: Mathematics
    Mathematics for 3D Game Programming and Computer Graphics, Third Edition 3rd Edition
    3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development, 2nd Edition 2nd Edition
    Essential Mathematics for Games and Interactive Applications, Third Edition 3rd Edition
but i'm not sure which one takes somewhat same approach to math like chili does (many examples, humor and treats you like you never ever saw this topics before -excluding the pre-requisites of course-)

i found only one video playlist that covers a big number of math topics named "math for game developers" and as a bonus it's from a single author(source) but the only downside it's not ordered, and i'm not experienced enough to know which list is pre-requisite to the other. so i will list all of them here, and hopefully someone more experienced than me arranges it.
https://www.youtube.com/user/BSVino/playlists
  • intro to vectors
    advanced vectors
    intro to matrices
    advanced matrices
    graphs and pathfinding
    rendering
    geometry testing
    calculus
    numerical analysis
    streams
    optimization
    probability and randomness
    quaternions
    triangle meshes
    imaginary roots
thanks in advance.

krautersuppe

Re: pure math recommendations

Post by krautersuppe » November 23rd, 2017, 6:20 pm

eyad wrote:hello there everyone,

so i would like to get some help, mainly recommendations about -best-resources i should use to learn these subjects.[..] i hope that i can learn all those topics through videos, but in case of there's no videos that covers all the topics in ordered, coherent fashion. then getting a hybrid from books and videos would work too.[..]
Well chili does cover pretty much everything already in his tutorials. Now theoretical basis and how those things are defined and calculated you can surely find in some video tutorials. However if you want to apply them to solve a task - practice on your own sheet of paper is essential.
eyad wrote: but i'm not sure which one takes somewhat same approach to math like chili does (many examples, humor and treats you like you never ever saw this topics before -excluding the pre-requisites of course-)
My former math teacher has many pdf documents with series of problems on different topics for self practice with all solutions and philosophical comments. You can have a look at them on this thread.
Attachments
vectors.jpg
(550.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by krautersuppe on March 2nd, 2019, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSU
Discord: dsu1, GitHub: https://github.com/DSpUz

eyad

Post by eyad » November 24th, 2017, 4:05 pm

krautersuppe wrote: Well chili does cover pretty much everything already in his tutorials. Now theoretical basis and how those things are defined and calculated you can surely find in some video tutorials. However if you want to apply them to solve a task - practice on your own sheet of paper is essential.
so far i didn't see some topics like quaternions and euler angles (maybe he talked/will talk about it in future videos , i only watched the old series + some HUGS episodes) however i would like to read/konw about them in depth so i opted for some more specialized resources.

my end goal is to watch and understand the 3d fundamentals series without trying to understand 2 different things in the same time (math + coding/architecture)

krautersuppe wrote: My former math teacher has many pdf documents with series of problems on different topics for self practice with all solutions and philosophical comments. Now the "problem" is - they are in german.
german isn't my specialty though :( so for me it looks like it's encrypted :lol:

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » November 27th, 2017, 2:26 pm

Euler angles are just another name for the common 3D rotation scheme using t he familiar matrix rotations. Quaternions achieve the same goal, but they do it without gimbal lock.

I will not be dealing with Quaternions during 3DF as they are not necessary in 3D graphics.
Chili